Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH promised to stop smoking..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
At least when the kids are awake...

It is only important to him when SS6 is here.. but when it's just us and DD1 he makes excuses. A few weeks ago I told him I would not hesitate to leave if he can't wait a few hours for a cigarette and finds it more important than our daughters health.

I grew up with tons of smokers in my family, I don't smoke, never have. As a kid I had horrible asthma and still have sensitivities to the smell. I don't want DD having any issues that we can prevent... waiting til she takes a nap or is in bed won't hurt...

Am I being too controlling or do you think it's right of me to try to protect her health and hold him accountable to his promises?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Does he smoke outside?  If so, then yes, you are being too controlling.  If not; make him. 

-42-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Try getting him to switch to vaping, and then eventually quit. It is hard to go cold turkey, and it may be more of a oral fixation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Typically he has 2 each time he's smoking.. not just one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Yes he smokes outside, but the smell travels inside, by air and in his skin and clothes...

Quoting Texor:

Does he smoke outside?  If so, then yes, you are being too controlling.  If not; make him. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Just have him smoke outside if he needs one while she awake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM
He was vaping but didn't like it, I'm not asking him to quit, I just ask that he wait til the kids are asleep or when he's not home.

Quoting -42-: Try getting him to switch to vaping, and then eventually quit. It is hard to go cold turkey, and it may be more of a oral fixation.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Quoting Texor:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM
It doesn't matter if it's outside. The smell travels through the patio door and on his clothes and skin.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Just have him smoke outside if he needs one while she awake.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM

If he is smoking outside you need to stop trying to control his behavior...it is just going to lead to more smoking.

-42-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, I see.

Have him dedicate a hoodie or jacket as a smoking jacket. If he wears if everytime he smokes, it will cut down on the smell lingering on him(as long as he takes it off as soon as he is finished).

Quoting Anonymous: He was vaping but didn't like it, I'm not asking him to quit, I just ask that he wait til the kids are asleep or when he's not home.

Quoting -42-: Try getting him to switch to vaping, and then eventually quit. It is hard to go cold turkey, and it may be more of a oral fixation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)