Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if you leave your child before they are 4 for even an hour you are TRAUMATIZING them

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM
  • 106 Replies
I am very rarely more than 2 feet from my 23 month old. I'm trying to gradually teach her that she is o.k. without Mommy, (with another trusted adult, or with Mom out of sight or near by) for at least short periods of time. She's too shy and too clingy with me and it's starting to worry me. Not to mention I desperately need a break here and there.

I've started with church. I'll put her in the nursery while I sit in service. D.h. has to work some Sundays. When he's not at work we take her into the, "crying baby" room where they have the sermon on t.v., but I'm rarely able to pay any attention to it. I told d.h. I'm taking her to church tomorrow while he's at work and he insists I'll "traumatize" her if I put her in the nursery.

The last two times I did it she cried till I was out of sight, then stopped crying. The last time she did wait for me by the door, not crying unless someone tried to move her, the whole hour, but I think that just shows how badly she needs to learn Mommy doesn't have to be within arms reach every second! Right?
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Ffs
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
You're right. She'll be fine.
mommy103238
by Mandy on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Should have started at a way younger age.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM
5 moms liked this

She will survive.............better that you are doing this now than rather than waiting until she starts school

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this
My daughters 7 months and she barely noticed we were gone when we left her with her grandparents and went out to dinner last weekend. It was her first time away from me. When we walked in I felt like she looked at me thinking "oh you're back, cool" lol
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM

She will be fine.

kam0011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
She is just going to learn that mommy will always make it back eventually. I don't think an hour away from you will traumatize her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Right! It sounds like you are a SAHM, which is so great for your child i'm sure. I'm also a SAHM and we went through this with my son at 18 months when I started putting him in several one hour long daycares a week, gym, MOPs, Bible study etc. (Church nursery was something we worked on from 12 months to 18 months.) I suggest just keeping at the childcare. It's fine if she cries for 15 minutes. If she doesn't settle by then, I'd come back and stay in the church nursery with her for about 15 minutes and then leave again. After a few times of doing this, just leave her in the church nursery and she will settle down and play.

MSJAP2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM

You're not traumatizing her by not being with her 24/7. Hell, my 6 year old is in the clingy stage again. If he's at school he's fine, but let me be home with him & OMG!!! She'll be fine. The more often you leave her sight, even for a moment, the less she'll cry. It won't kill her for you to be in church for an hour & her be in the nursery. Tell your husband to suck it up buttercup lol. I think he's the one who will be traumatized by it lol

AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Its good for kids to learn to be comfortable being watched by others from time to time, and to be social.

Quoting mommy103238:

Should have started at a way younger age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)