Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eta. She wants $180 shoes for her birthday

Posted by   + Show Post
She wants Jordan superfly 2 id in red. She is turning 16 in April. Yes her foot has pretty much stopped growing and she can wear shoes for awhile now but $180?! When she asked, I laughed and said that would be her only present. She also wants a dog and I told her no way. She counters that the dog would be free and I said after buying all the accessories, including a large pen because I don't have a fenced in area and the dog is not staying inside all the time, it would be almost as expensive as the shoes. I am not made of money here people. We do OK but only because I don't buy $200 shoes.

What does everyone think?

ETA: I told her that I would buy her the shoes but that's all she will get. I told her she has till the end of March to decide if that's what she really wants and then we will have to order them online. Her birthday is in the middle of April.
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM
My dh spends that amt on his shoes he sees it as an investment because they are for work. Having good quality tennis shoes makes all the difference in how he feels after a long day at work. Now I don't think o would ever spend that on my kids but if it is all they asked for then I might consider it. I would rather do that than get a dog

Quoting baquick: Those are tennis shoes right?

Hell no. No shoe is worth that (except high end work or cowboy boots), especially tennis shoes.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Why? I need ammunition lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd buy her $180 shoes as long as they weren't Jordans. I hate them so much, lol.

Maybe some nice heels or even some type of cute sneaker.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Some people would laugh that cowboy boots are worth that. To some Jordan's are worth it.

Hell no. No shoe is worth that (except high end work or cowboy boots), especially tennis shoes.
69liliem10
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Dude...I don't spend 180 bucks on shoes for myself, much less my teenaged daughter.

Even as a gift, I would not get them for her. If DD ever wants shoes that pricey, she can get a job and get them herself. 

monkeydance
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Never ever would I spend that much on tennis shoes. If my child wants them that bad she can save money and buy them herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
No.

When I was a Kid, back in my day ... if I wanted the name brand whatever I had to pay for half of it.

As adult, I have never bought shoes that expensive. I don't think she understands money, the value abd effort that goes into making it.

I would tell my Kid no, But I also doubt they would ask.
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM
If they were good quality workout/running shoes, yes I can see that.

But Jordan's that don't do much other than look pretty? Hell no.

Quoting Anonymous: My dh spends that amt on his shoes he sees it as an investment because they are for work. Having good quality tennis shoes makes all the difference in how he feels after a long day at work. Now I don't think o would ever spend that on my kids but if it is all they asked for then I might consider it. I would rather do that than get a dog

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know where you're at but where I live only the wannabe thugs (and real thugs) wear them and brag about them constantly. I just don't want to be associated with that mess.

I'm sure it's different in different areas though.

Quoting bleumonster: Why? I need ammunition lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd buy her $180 shoes as long as they weren't Jordans. I hate them so much, lol.

Maybe some nice heels or even some type of cute sneaker.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Suddenly $180 doesn't seem so bad lol. Did you get him anything else?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I bought my DS a pair of $250 sneakers last year for his 16th bday. I am no help LOL

baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Depends what the boots are made out of. If it's good quality materials and workmanship- that makes it worth it. If it's cheap materials, obviously not. Which are what most Jordan's are....

Quoting Anonymous: Some people would laugh that cowboy boots are worth that. To some Jordan's are worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)