Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eta. She wants $180 shoes for her birthday

Posted by   + Show Post
She wants Jordan superfly 2 id in red. She is turning 16 in April. Yes her foot has pretty much stopped growing and she can wear shoes for awhile now but $180?! When she asked, I laughed and said that would be her only present. She also wants a dog and I told her no way. She counters that the dog would be free and I said after buying all the accessories, including a large pen because I don't have a fenced in area and the dog is not staying inside all the time, it would be almost as expensive as the shoes. I am not made of money here people. We do OK but only because I don't buy $200 shoes.

What does everyone think?

ETA: I told her that I would buy her the shoes but that's all she will get. I told her she has till the end of March to decide if that's what she really wants and then we will have to order them online. Her birthday is in the middle of April.
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
leksismommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
No to the dog.
I'd get the shoes, but that's the only present. She better take good care of those shoes
joci2203
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:50 PM
I would get the shoes, no dog though, unless you want a dog.
Droyal14u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I'd say ONE or the OTHER, not both. The shoes would be an easy present, not like the dog where everyone would have to deal with hair and slobber and other animal sounds, smells, wastes. The dog is more of a family pet as everyone would be affected by it, not like the shoes that are only her. She'd have to walk it, pick up after it, feed it, bathe it, yada yada yada....It seems like a big decision. I wish you luck. I'd pick the shoes btw, 'cause they wouldn't leave stinky messes around my home....hahahaah

Liastele
by Lauren on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would give her the money for the shoes, but make her be the one to go to the store and buy them. That way she can fully realize how much those shoes cost.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM

When I was 16 I wanted a pair of dr martens sandals. They were somewhere in the $140 range......... I worked and bought them for myself. I hiked the Alps in those shoes. All over Europe, China, etc. 20 years later they are STILL in my closet.

If she really wants the shoes, it would be a good present. These are the ones I got :)

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Absolutely not! They were some sort of Lebron James limited edition shoes. I wanted to cry when he picked them out.

Quoting bleumonster: Suddenly $180 doesn't seem so bad lol. Did you get him anything else?
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I bought my DS a pair of $250 sneakers last year for his 16th bday. I am no help LOL

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Hmm. I really don't know for sure.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't know where you're at but where I live only the wannabe thugs (and real thugs) wear them and brag about them constantly. I just don't want to be associated with that mess.

I'm sure it's different in different areas though.

Quoting bleumonster: Why? I need ammunition lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd buy her $180 shoes as long as they weren't Jordans. I hate them so much, lol.

Maybe some nice heels or even some type of cute sneaker.
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I don't buy $200 tennis shoes. Heels, absolutely, tennis shoes? Hell. No.
BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM
$180 for shoes? Uuuhh NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. Dog?? NO Absolutely NOT. Being a responsible pet owner can be costly. And where would this "free" dog come from?
Gmgej
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Eh if I was planning on spending $200 or more then I would gladly get them. I mean why not get her what she wants instead of what you want her to have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)