Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eta. She wants $180 shoes for her birthday

Posted by   + Show Post
She wants Jordan superfly 2 id in red. She is turning 16 in April. Yes her foot has pretty much stopped growing and she can wear shoes for awhile now but $180?! When she asked, I laughed and said that would be her only present. She also wants a dog and I told her no way. She counters that the dog would be free and I said after buying all the accessories, including a large pen because I don't have a fenced in area and the dog is not staying inside all the time, it would be almost as expensive as the shoes. I am not made of money here people. We do OK but only because I don't buy $200 shoes.

What does everyone think?

ETA: I told her that I would buy her the shoes but that's all she will get. I told her she has till the end of March to decide if that's what she really wants and then we will have to order them online. Her birthday is in the middle of April.
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Replies (241-243):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

It wasn't a two/three hour party in our case. It was an all day affair. Her sweet sixteen was something very special, not your ordinary, every day birthday party.

Quoting ABCMomma0211: I dont get how a candy buffet is that much. When i was doing my wedding i wanted that, it was an extra 7-9$ per person. Im planning on doing one for my twins first birthday, but im cheap and shop sales and coupons. Personally i think spending what you and that other person are spending is insane for a two/three hour party.
Quoting YuppyMom:

No candy buffet.  My daughter said they are tacky and she was not interested.  The only candy that will be on board is the m and m's that go with the favors and then the candy for each of the pedestal dishes to be included at eac of the individual guest tables.  Between M and M's and the pedestal dishes--that is over 900 dollars worth of candy .  I can't imagine a decent candy buffet being only 1300 honestly--knowing we spent 900 on much less. 

We've dpne the Hershey bars at lesser events in the past, but my daughter wanted this to remain an eegant affair--so we stepped up the favors.  Granted, only 800 would have been nice--but her guests are getting nice keepsakes that keep with the party theme as well.

It sounds like your daughter wanted to keep it pretty typical and that is fine.  My daughter opted for an elegant affair-- so in lieu of a drinkmachine she prefers unlimted waitress service from the bar serving soda, mocktails and so forth and an unlimited three tier punch bowl with champagne flutes.  It's definitely a matter of taste.  Everyone does it different.  DD has been to her share of the candy buffet, name sculpture candle, animal print and pn type events to know that was not what she was aiming for. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So you did a run to party city and only spent $600 on additional candy? I am assuming this is for a candy buffet? We spent $800 on personalized Hershey's bars for the tables, as well as the $1,300 for the candy buffet... all name brand candy. That was not done by me personally, I had someone come in and do it for me. The candy buffet was not a "favor" for the guests, really. It was just an addition that our daughter wanted for fun, just like the drink machine and chocolate fountain. Grand total, with everything included, we spent around $24,000-$25,000 on the party. And no car.

Quoting YuppyMom:

That's all I spent on M and M's.  That isn't all we spent on candy.  You and I probably spent similar amounts on candy--as the rest of the candy was a 600 dollar run to Party City.  That said--the favors themselves cost a great deal more--the candy is just add ons to what we chose to do.  No worries about anything here being done cheaply.  We've not missed a detail:)  We did get the band for a song.  They are a premier headlining band in the tri-state area loved by the teen set.  They owed me.  LOL.  They used to be another band about two years ago and at the time I was promoting for them and booking them all kinds of shows.  So  we got them for a song, because they love me and are thankful!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's all you spent on those? Goodness. When I did my daughter's candy favors we spent nearly $800. And our live band was $3,000 for 5 hours. That isn't counting everything else we spent on the party. Why are you going about this so cheaply?

Quoting YuppyMom:

For a Sweet 16=-- a pair of shoes even if they were 300 wouldbe a great deal. 

Around here, Sweet 1\6 is treated as a big deal.  My daughter's Sweet 16 party is coming up.  For perspective one of thecheaper parts of the party planning was ordering personalized M & M's for the favors om the tables.  The M & M order was almost 300 dollars. The D.J is 700.  The band is 1000. And these exenses do not include people coming in to decorate or the per-head charge per guest, etc.

Her car will follow as soon as she applies for her permit.

She only wants 180 dollar shoes.  Consider that a huge win.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Quoting YuppyMom: I have no interest in out spending others. I simply want my dd to have the party of hervdreams.
Quoting mishamama: I'm laughing at the rich people "who's spending more" competition going on in this post. Lmao. Op, I would get the shoes, and a big hell no for the dog- college is only two years away, when she's out on her own she can get herself whatever pet she wants.

KarissaA
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I've never had shoes that cost that much.  My most expensive was ONE pair of running shoes that was maybe $100.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN