Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eta. She wants $180 shoes for her birthday

Posted by   + Show Post
She wants Jordan superfly 2 id in red. She is turning 16 in April. Yes her foot has pretty much stopped growing and she can wear shoes for awhile now but $180?! When she asked, I laughed and said that would be her only present. She also wants a dog and I told her no way. She counters that the dog would be free and I said after buying all the accessories, including a large pen because I don't have a fenced in area and the dog is not staying inside all the time, it would be almost as expensive as the shoes. I am not made of money here people. We do OK but only because I don't buy $200 shoes.

What does everyone think?

ETA: I told her that I would buy her the shoes but that's all she will get. I told her she has till the end of March to decide if that's what she really wants and then we will have to order them online. Her birthday is in the middle of April.
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM
So it was a "pick out anything you want" type of thing?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Absolutely not! They were some sort of Lebron James limited edition shoes. I wanted to cry when he picked them out.

Quoting bleumonster: Suddenly $180 doesn't seem so bad lol. Did you get him anything else?
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I bought my DS a pair of $250 sneakers last year for his 16th bday. I am no help LOL

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM
My DD gets Jordans every other month and she's 6.

If you can afford them, why not?
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Id rather have and give a dog. They bring years of happiness, where as shoes are only good until worn out or out of style, which with teenagers could be next month.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM

He wanted new sneakers. I said ok lets go and you can pick out whatever pair you want. I had NO IDEA they would have ones for $200+. He usually gets ones around $120 or so, so that is what I was figuring. Wrong LOL!

Quoting bleumonster: So it was a "pick out anything you want" type of thing?
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Absolutely not! They were some sort of Lebron James limited edition shoes. I wanted to cry when he picked them out.

Quoting bleumonster: Suddenly $180 doesn't seem so bad lol. Did you get him anything else?
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I bought my DS a pair of $250 sneakers last year for his 16th bday. I am no help LOL

norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
http://www.google.com/#q=+Jordan+superfly+2+id++red.

There seem to be many options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
I agree only time I ever bought my kids Jordan's were when they wanted Jordan sandals they were like $25 and the same price as the addidas ones I was going to get them so I agreed to it

Quoting baquick: If they were good quality workout/running shoes, yes I can see that.

But Jordan's that don't do much other than look pretty? Hell no.

Quoting Anonymous: My dh spends that amt on his shoes he sees it as an investment because they are for work. Having good quality tennis shoes makes all the difference in how he feels after a long day at work. Now I don't think o would ever spend that on my kids but if it is all they asked for then I might consider it. I would rather do that than get a dog

Quoting baquick: Those are tennis shoes right?

Hell no. No shoe is worth that (except high end work or cowboy boots), especially tennis shoes.
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this
What's the point?

Quoting KendallsMommee: My DD gets Jordans every other month and she's 6.

If you can afford them, why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM
I have a pair of shoes that were $130, but I only paid 10 because I got them through Kraft when I worked there. They are Keens that are steel toe and the only non slip shoe I've ever had that is truly non slip, even walking through chicken grease at the deli I work at now.
I guess if it's something that will last years and that she'll wear for years i would consider it.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM
A friend of hers. When I said the dog would need shots and neutering, she said it already had gotten both.

Quoting BekahBrownEyes: $180 for shoes? Uuuhh NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. Dog?? NO Absolutely NOT. Being a responsible pet owner can be costly. And where would this "free" dog come from?
Kristen_1
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM
My 2 year old has multiple pairs of retro Jordan's because my husband is a shoe whore. I say go for it, she only turns 16 once.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)