Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adoption do you know how rude you are?

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/ignorant-things-about-adoption-_n_4859783.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=3798246,b=facebook

A woman who adopted from china put up a series of pics showing how some of you really sound to us. We adopted six and the things people say in front of and to the kids since they were little is incredible.  I can identify with  some of it even though our kids are from the US we adopted all diff races.

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
bcoll
by Brandi on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Our children are all biological but because there are so many they cause a stir sometimes. 99% of the time the comments are curious or complimentary but we were out one day and a woman loudly asked in front of them if they were all ours. We said yes and she proceeded with "No, I want to know if they are REALLY yours. Not adopted, or a blended family, are they your REAL kids?"...

I was astounded. If they weren't our together they weren't "really" ours? Since when does adoption make one less than? What grown adult would speak such a way in front of them? If one /some HAD been adopted, how would they have felt in that moment?

I understand being curious, that was however, horribly worded and inconsiderate.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Some of them are true.

I'm a domestic adoption of a different race and I was never ever talked to like that. In fact I used to get upset because people would say I looked just like my mom. Uh yeah.. the one you don't know exists!
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm against bigotry.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm against international adoption. Leave babies in their own country!!!!! Why adopt overseas, and not from our own country? There are lots of babies/kids in America who need a living home and family.
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Omg people are stupid.

Quoting momaof8:

imagine us in the store with four caucasion two mixed and two african American little ones. We walk up to Santa at the mall I mention they are all brothers and sisters so Santa knows and he starts asking rude questions in front of them. He is Santa to them. Like are they really brothers and sisters are they adopted or just foster ect.   People would stop us in the mall complete strangers and ask are they all yours?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM
My sister had mixed babies and she is pale white. People ask her and her kids some of the rudest things. Especially since her husband isn't their dad.
momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM
I have heard so many ignorant comments about my family. My brother & I were both adopted & we heard a lot of things. I still get questions about my "real parents" & always reply with an answer about my only parents that I have ever known.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Quoting Anonymous: I'm against international adoption. Leave babies in their own country!!!!! Why adopt overseas, and not from our own country? There are lots of babies/kids in America who need a living home and family.

Go to your states adoption website and tellme how many kids under the age of 8 are available.

I just looked at a nation wide site. There are 14 kids under the age of 4-ALL Of them have special needs that would mandate a SAHM-and a two parent household.

ONE child has no major special needs. And is not available to be adopted yet.

The fact is that if you want a young child-there just aren't many available inthis ocuntry. TONS of teenagers though.  Which is a commentary on the current focus on keeping kid with thier parents-no matter what.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
my husband got to the point that when strangers stopped us and said are they all yours he would say well I am just very forgiving. Or people would ask if my caucasion son and my AA son the same ages were twins we would smile and just say yes. one hostess at a resturaunt asked us if our AA son was ours we said yes she loudly said he cant be yours he is the wrong color.
lady-J-Rock
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
When I get asked if my oldest daughter is mine I say no I thought she was the cutest baby ever so I kidnapped her.

Quoting momaof8:

imagine us in the store with four caucasion two mixed and two african American little ones. We walk up to Santa at the mall I mention they are all brothers and sisters so Santa knows and he starts asking rude questions in front of them. He is Santa to them. Like are they really brothers and sisters are they adopted or just foster ect.   People would stop us in the mall complete strangers and ask are they all yours?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM

My little sister was adopted from China (she was an infant, and she's 15 now). I've honestly never heard anyone in real life have anything negative to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN