Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adoption do you know how rude you are?

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/ignorant-things-about-adoption-_n_4859783.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=3798246,b=facebook

A woman who adopted from china put up a series of pics showing how some of you really sound to us. We adopted six and the things people say in front of and to the kids since they were little is incredible.  I can identify with  some of it even though our kids are from the US we adopted all diff races.

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM
while generally i agree with you some people CANT adopt in the USA. and they make wonderful parents. like that couple on tv, the "little couple" they wouldnt be able to adopt here.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm against international adoption. Leave babies in their own country!!!!! Why adopt overseas, and not from our own country? There are lots of babies/kids in America who need a living home and family.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM

My friend adopted her daughter from China.  When she was in preschool, a classmate told her "you know your mom bought you from your real mom, right"  Poor girl cried all night.

Those 2 are an argument for nurture over nature!  Daughter is just like my friend.

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM
People are rude! I could make a similar list of the rude things people have said to me when they find out we are struggling with infertility issues. I swear some people just don't think before they speak!
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM

The level of stupidity on that one, right?  They were totally indoctrinated by 5 months to be spys!

Quoting onethentwins:

I have to say I've never heard one about sending them over as spies before, that's a new one for me.  I love how this mom dealt this situation and empowered her daughters.

Here's a link to offensive things often said to all tria members starting with adoptees: http://www.adoptionhealing.com/don'tsay.shtml

m 

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM

My youngest son is adopted, we've only had him for a few weeks and have already made comments like that. They act like we rescued a puppy. Some of the worst we've heard so far have been "well, you can always give him back after a few days, before you get too attached", I just wanted to say "did you not love and feel attached to your child when they were born, the first day that you met them?" We have also heard "It's great that you rescued him from that life (referring to the fact that his parents are romani), bunch of baby snatchers and thieves." They don't tend to put together that since his biological mother is my husbands cousin, my husband is part Roma too. And "just lie about his birthday and tell him he's Ariadne's biological twin (my daughter is two months older), knowing he's adopted will screw him up."

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Some of those were rude, and some of them I find to be completely acceptable. For example, if any of my friends adopted a child from overseas I would ask why. I see nothing wrong with it, I would just be curious. If I adopt I will adopt within my country and have a truly innocent curiosity as to why other ppl choose to adopt from other Countries.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM

People suck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Fyi it can b e cheaper to adopt from another country. Unless you do it from dss but it would be harder to adopt a baby.... your an ass

Quoting Anonymous: Who gives a flying fuck what passport a human being holds? A child in America isn't somehow more deserving of a home than a child in Ethiopia if that's where a parent would like to adopt.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm against international adoption. Leave babies in their own country!!!!! Why adopt overseas, and not from our own country? There are lots of babies/kids in America who need a living home and family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Can't? Is the process different ? Im curious as to why. (Looking into adoption atm )

Quoting Anonymous: while generally i agree with you some people CANT adopt in the USA. and they make wonderful parents. like that couple on tv, the "little couple" they wouldnt be able to adopt here.

miss.andy2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM
I honestly wanted to smack the person who wrote that so hard his/ her head did a few 360's
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN