Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my 4 year old dd is telling me to shut up!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My dd is 4 years old. She has a issues with her speech. It is delayed about 6 months back. She shes a speech therapist who has evaluated her twice now and still she says my dd doesnt have a comprehension about certain things which causes dd to get frustrated easily because she doesnt understand.

Aside from all this, my dd is an only child and only grandchild. She is very spoiled by my parents and sometimes myself. She never leaves the store empty handed. Recently she has started to demand more than one thing when we leave the store.

For instance; last night dd and I, with my mother, went to see the lego Movie in the movie theater. So my dd wanted some popcorn and a drink, she got that plus my mom got her some chocolate to go with it all. Shes fine and everything is okay. For her first movie in public she does great. Stays quiet and doesnt bug anyone. After she finishes her chocolate, she starts demanding more very loudly and right off the bat gets frustrated in a second. I give her some of my chocolate and tell her she has to be quiet. The show ends and she starts BALLING. throws a huge fit while yelling 'I want to see another movie!'. I tell her no and she goes on and on with her crying. We pass by those little toy machines. She starts demanding that she get two. I told her none because of the way she is acting. People stare obviously. I expect it. I just stay calm and smile while tagging her along to the car. We get in the car and I tell her its enough. She starts yelling that she wants toys r us. I again tell her no. Her behaviour was not acceptable. A few minutes later she says she is thirsty so I get her a drink. In the car she has 2 cup holders beside her. Instead of putting the drink in the cup holder like she always does, she tells me to grab it. I quivkly turn around and she THROWS the drink at me. I have enough at tgis point and I tell her sternly that she is a lucky kid to get all these toys and to go out to the movies or museums, some kids dont get to to do that. And most kids dont get a toy every store they go to. She finally stops, says sorry. We get home and she starts crying again that she didnt get a toy. I ignore it and tell her that we have to start getting ready for bed. She tells me to shut up and leave her alone.

I say strike one. She freaks out. (Strike 1 is a warning, strike two means to apologize and think about what you are doing and strike 3 is a time out for 3 minutes. Anything past that I take her computer, her tablet, any fav toy ect...

she just tells me to shut up. Im at loss of what to do. I have started the no new toys thing this week. Asking my mother to not get her anything. Of course my parents laugh and tell me that this is what grandparents do. My grandparents never did that but my parents have more money than they did. I underatand they want my dd happy and content but life is hell because of this. My 4 year old treats me like crap on the ground. This morning she woke up and came downstairs and looked at me saying 'WHY DIDNT YOU PICK UP MY TOYS!?' I looked at her and told her that she can pick them up. That ended in a 15 minute tantrum of crying and screaming right off the bat. I dont know what to do anymore. I am being more stern with her. Explaining things to her. Telling her that we dont say shut up. Telling her it hurts my feelings ect... she doesnt care.

Any advice? Was or is your child like this?

Dd can be sweet and caring. She can be loving and gentle. Its just her mood is more 'I WANT THE WORLD, I GET THE WORLD.'

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM
You're too lenient. She gets what she wants when she wants. It's going to get worse.

I wouldn't get her any new toys period until she behaves. Parents buy her toys? She shouldn't get those either. Punishment is punishment. It's not a punishment if she doesn't get toys from you, but gets them from her gramdparents.

3 minute time out for repeat offenses? No. Clearly that's not working.

Does she behave like this in school?
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

screw strikes. when I ask my daughter to do something and she doesn't wanna I start slowly counting to 3. if she doesn't get her butt in gear by "3" she gets to go hang out in time-out.

GaleJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
PLEASE get educated about her stage of development and factor in any developmental issues she has. The problem is your parenting and until you learn how to gently and lovingly guide her to behave appropriately you cannot vent your frustration toward her because you haven't taught her to behave appropriately.
abecee
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Serious problem for me.
she would get nothing for the next 10 years.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I do the counting also. My cousin is always amazed by it. Lol

Quoting OwlNuggets:

screw strikes. when I ask my daughter to do something and she doesn't wanna I start slowly counting to 3. if she doesn't get her butt in gear by "3" she gets to go hang out in time-out.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Why did this make me laugh so hard. Lol!

Quoting abecee:

Serious problem for me.she would get nothing for the next 10 years.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
This except I usually give one chance for redemption lol

Quoting OwlNuggets:

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

It's ALWAYS worked for us! Love it! and it gives our kids a choice whether to cooperate or not so if they don't it's on THEM and they KNOW it!

Quoting LyTe684: Yes. I do the counting also. My cousin is always amazed by it. Lol

AVE SATANAS!
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Wow my daughter is close in age and I wouldn't take her anywhere for a long time if she threw a fit like that in public over toys. If her grandparents can't get on board, then only let them see her under your supervision so that you can immediately take any toys they try to give her.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I kinda do? I announce I'll be counting to 3 before I actually do.

Quoting mlg1989: This except I usually give one chance for redemption lol

AVE SATANAS!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)