Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my 4 year old dd is telling me to shut up!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd is 4 years old. She has a issues with her speech. It is delayed about 6 months back. She shes a speech therapist who has evaluated her twice now and still she says my dd doesnt have a comprehension about certain things which causes dd to get frustrated easily because she doesnt understand.

Aside from all this, my dd is an only child and only grandchild. She is very spoiled by my parents and sometimes myself. She never leaves the store empty handed. Recently she has started to demand more than one thing when we leave the store.

For instance; last night dd and I, with my mother, went to see the lego Movie in the movie theater. So my dd wanted some popcorn and a drink, she got that plus my mom got her some chocolate to go with it all. Shes fine and everything is okay. For her first movie in public she does great. Stays quiet and doesnt bug anyone. After she finishes her chocolate, she starts demanding more very loudly and right off the bat gets frustrated in a second. I give her some of my chocolate and tell her she has to be quiet. The show ends and she starts BALLING. throws a huge fit while yelling 'I want to see another movie!'. I tell her no and she goes on and on with her crying. We pass by those little toy machines. She starts demanding that she get two. I told her none because of the way she is acting. People stare obviously. I expect it. I just stay calm and smile while tagging her along to the car. We get in the car and I tell her its enough. She starts yelling that she wants toys r us. I again tell her no. Her behaviour was not acceptable. A few minutes later she says she is thirsty so I get her a drink. In the car she has 2 cup holders beside her. Instead of putting the drink in the cup holder like she always does, she tells me to grab it. I quivkly turn around and she THROWS the drink at me. I have enough at tgis point and I tell her sternly that she is a lucky kid to get all these toys and to go out to the movies or museums, some kids dont get to to do that. And most kids dont get a toy every store they go to. She finally stops, says sorry. We get home and she starts crying again that she didnt get a toy. I ignore it and tell her that we have to start getting ready for bed. She tells me to shut up and leave her alone.

I say strike one. She freaks out. (Strike 1 is a warning, strike two means to apologize and think about what you are doing and strike 3 is a time out for 3 minutes. Anything past that I take her computer, her tablet, any fav toy ect...

she just tells me to shut up. Im at loss of what to do. I have started the no new toys thing this week. Asking my mother to not get her anything. Of course my parents laugh and tell me that this is what grandparents do. My grandparents never did that but my parents have more money than they did. I underatand they want my dd happy and content but life is hell because of this. My 4 year old treats me like crap on the ground. This morning she woke up and came downstairs and looked at me saying 'WHY DIDNT YOU PICK UP MY TOYS!?' I looked at her and told her that she can pick them up. That ended in a 15 minute tantrum of crying and screaming right off the bat. I dont know what to do anymore. I am being more stern with her. Explaining things to her. Telling her that we dont say shut up. Telling her it hurts my feelings ect... she doesnt care.

Any advice? Was or is your child like this?

Dd can be sweet and caring. She can be loving and gentle. Its just her mood is more 'I WANT THE WORLD, I GET THE WORLD.'

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
That's right. Even my niece stops what she's doing when I start counting.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

It's ALWAYS worked for us! Love it! and it gives our kids a choice whether to cooperate or not so if they don't it's on THEM and they KNOW it!

Quoting LyTe684: Yes. I do the counting also. My cousin is always amazed by it. Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this
It's bc she's flipping 4 and has a computer and tablet and gets shit everywhere u take her. You have created a spoiled monster!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
You need to discipline her, right away. Like yesterday. Stop getting a handle on her now!
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Honestly it sounds like normal testing limits and no bashing, but she is spoiled!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
You need to get much more strict. Just reading about her behavior and what you let her get away with made my blood pressure rise.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Hooray for Mom Powers!!! *fist bump*

Quoting LyTe684: That's right. Even my niece stops what she's doing when I start counting.

AVE SATANAS!
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Too long, stopped reading in the middle. Sounds like you spoil her. Start disciplining her. Her speech is delayed, not her mind. 

Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Be loving but firm. It will get worse before it gets better.
abecee
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Thank you.  I was afraid of other reactions. 
I'm not honestly sure what I would do.  I think the OP is making lots of excuses for her 4 year old. I think she understand plenty.

Quoting LyTe684: Why did this make me laugh so hard. Lol!
Quoting abecee:

Serious problem for me.she would get nothing for the next 10 years.

Jodee24
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Age 3 and 4 suck!!! Just keep being stern and don't give in!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN