Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cash assistance now used at pot dispensaries.... need to get rid of cash assistance altogether

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
An exclusive Fox31 Denver investigation into welfare recipients using tax benefits at ATMs inside marijuana dispensaries– gets the attention of Congress.

Investigative Reporter Chris Halsne has confirmed that Congressman Dave Reichert will introduce what’s being called the “Preserving Welfare for Needs Not Weed Act” on Monday.

According to Representative Reichert’s office, the legislation adds pot shops to the current list of locations where states must block welfare EBT/debit cards from being used for purchases or ATM withdrawals.

Rep. Reichert (R-Washington) is Chairman of the Ways and Means Human Resources Subcommittee. Representatives Scott Tipton and Cory Gardner of Colorado will co-sponsor the legislation.

Last week, Fox31 Denver went undercover inside licensed Colorado marijuana dispensaries to prove ATMs, located inside secured areas of pot shops, were being repeatedly used by welfare recipients.

Public records collected by Fox31 Denver show at least 19 different dispensaries allowed Quest debit cards to be used inside their pot shops in January alone. We found 56 transactions, totaling nearly $4,000.

Transaction data also shows welfare cash being used at more than a hundred liquor stores and several strip clubs.

Using an ATM inside a pot shop is technically legal in Colorado because state Democrats killed a bill in January which would have banned the practice.

Now Congress wants to force the state to comply with what Representative Reichert says is “common-sense” legislation.

The bill will not comment on whether it makes sense for states to legalize the sale of pot.

Facebook1K+Twitter10GoogleLinkedInPinterestEmail

Filed in: Investigators

Also From FOX31 Denver

Three accused of prostituting 15-year-old girl in LakewoodEnglewood woman is true inspiration in the face of incredible obstaclesCoroner identifies 3 killed in suspected Thornton double-murder suicidePolice: Woman used stolen credit card to withdraw $8,500Grandfather, grand kids locate dead body in Platte River

More from Our Partners

Homeowners Are In For A Big Surprise... (Lifestyle Journal)Social Security Benefits: The Taxman Cometh (Citi Blog)Girls, Girls, Girls: 2014 Womens Championship Tour(Red Bull)4 Best Schools for an Online Degree for 2014 (Education Portal)10 Snacks You Should Never Eat Again (ActiveBeat)

Recommended by 

"" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: bottom; background-color: transparent; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">

9 comments

revraygreen (@revraygreen)

February 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

can we get some numbers on what % of retail purchases besides “were being repeatedly used by welfare recipients.”…or were they on disability or SSI ??

SpamFace Plant

February 28, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Rev, Welfare and SSI are all taxpayer dollars. Many of the nefariously “disabled” are simply “working” (gaming) the system by their own admission!

revraygreen (@revraygreen)

March 1, 2014 at 6:10 am

really? tell that to a Veteran…

SpamFace Plant

March 1, 2014 at 8:41 am

That ton’t fly Rev, I’m retired SCPO!!!!

Cindi Gilhousen

March 1, 2014 at 8:03 am

Ok, so you know about the ones that use THAT ATM. You are a fool if you think they don’t use other ATM’s. The unfortunate part is the money should be used for what it is intended for.

Kae Mechiso

March 1, 2014 at 8:30 am

Stop giving out cash with the EBT cards. Issue those on food “assistance” that nutritious and necessary food products that the USDA has. You know canned peanut butted, canned meat, powdered eggs, powered milk, bulk wheat, oats and other grains. That would work if they had a photo ID to pick up their monthly allotment at the welfare office.

Karen Buffum Knutson

March 1, 2014 at 11:54 am

I totally agree. At least if you give out food rather than money… the kids might actually get to eat. We used to get what was called Supplemental Foods. Denver didn’t do WIC checks back then. We used almost all of it. It sure makes more sense than handing out money. Clients get creative in finding ways to swap off foods that should be going to the family. They should not be buying pop, candy, chips, overly sugared cereals…and other junk…with government money, either. You could have locations around town for food pickups… using a human services issued photo ID. The client could pick and choose from a variety of foods. Basics like flour, sugar, masa, salt, butter, canola oil, beans, rice as well as canned and frozen foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables as well, also bread would need to be available. The grocery stores would hate it! They would lose a lot of business. It would feed those that need it. Have the stores manned with those receiving benefits, supervised by a county employee, so they can learn how to work in a store.

Duncan Wallace

March 1, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Well what do you know about that? Snopes says that the allegations are just plain fiction.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/potfoodstamps.asp

Confuscious Say

March 1, 2014 at 8:33 pm

So the tax payers are buying weed for the lazy, uninitiated Obama loving 47%, Welcome to Obama’s America!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

"" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: bottom; background-color: transparent; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">

Most ViewedCDOT: I-25 NB reopens after 104-car pileup1 killed in multi-car crash at I-25, Logan StreetWeatherDenver family warns others about dangers of legal herbal stimulantPolice locate vehicle connected to Memphis St. homicide investigation

What do you think?

Do you think Hillary Clinton, currently aged 66, will be too old to run for President in 2016?

No

Yes

Not sure

Photo GalleriesSlideshow: Send us your Colorado sunrise photosSlideshow: Send us your photos of February 2014 weather
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Sorry I forgot to edit the replies out lol
that_girl_kk
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Well what do you know about that? Snopes says that the allegations are just plain fiction.

I'm more likely to believe Snopes, but even if it were true, it seems like an easy thing to fix.

KnittinMama
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Shocker
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
No one should get cash assistance. What is the point of that
mama_church
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I knew women that only used TCA for cigarettes, or they traded it for drugs. It's not totally a waste, some people need it, but it is being abused, just like every other form of assistance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Lol. *sighs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quoting that_girl_kk:

I'm more likely to believe Snopes, but even if it were true, it seems like an easy thing to fix.

You must be one of those welfare mama's that need to get a job and get off assistance
JaneMarie80
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM
I don't know what article you read, but the one you posted said they were taking money out at the ATM there, not purchasing marijuana with their cards.
that_girl_kk
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting that_girl_kk:

You must be one of those welfare mama's that need to get a job and get off assistance

You genuinely made me laugh.  Why would I say there is an easy way to fix it if I was on welfare and wanted it to continue?

JaneMarie80
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Really? You'll believe just anything you see on a news site? Just keep hating the people stuck at the bottom instead of the ones you really should hate on, the ones all the way at the top.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting that_girl_kk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN