Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kids pretty much said I am a bad mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

The ongoing problem in my house is that my kids have no respect for me. And why should they? I don't discipline them. I try, but I fail. They walk all over me and can talk me out of anything.

I have turned into my mother in so many ways. Growing up, she never disciplined me. Compared to her I am military strict, or try to be anyway. It made me feel unloved, and I felt like she didn't care about me. Let me say that she was to the extreme. I would come home with a report card of all F's and there would be no talk, no consequence. (If my kids get a C, their phones get taken away.) I would scream at her and tell her to go to her room. I mean it was ridiculous. I think she was severely depressed after my dad left, and she never got over it, ever.

Anyway, back to me and my kids. I get it. I know how they feel and why, and everytime we have these talks where I say, you don't respect me, (they agree) I say you don't listen to me, they tell me it's my fault because they don't have any consequences. The most I will do is send them to their rooms or tell them they cannot hang out with their friends on the weekend. I have 3 teenagers. I started out as a very strict mom, that's the weirdest thing about all this! I was very consistent with them, I KNEW how important that was. It's these teenage years that have overwhelmed me to the point where I guess I am just a horrible mother. I feel like a total failure, not just parenting wise but in life, in general.

I know there will be comments where some will state the obvious, I suck at this parenting thing. But if any of you are interested in helping me, can you please give me ideas on how to be more strict with them? For their ages? They are 13, 14, and 17.

What are good consequences for talking back, not doing chores, being rude to me, ect. and fighting with each other. I'll take any and all suggestions. I know I've failed, but I am not going to give up and stay stuck there. I love them too much, they are all I have in this world.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:33 PM

BUMP!

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Well you already know the problem. You didn't discipline your kids. They now walk all over you. I am really not sure how you can get back from this. 

belindah
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Sorry no advice here but heres a hug

reava
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM
I only have little ones so I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say good luck and give you a bump for some answers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

good job captain obvious!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well you already know the problem. You didn't discipline your kids. They now walk all over you. I am really not sure how you can get back from this. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Appreciated, hugs to you too

Quoting belindah:

Sorry no advice here but heres a hug

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM

thank you

Quoting reava: I only have little ones so I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say good luck and give you a bump for some answers.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Consequence jar. Google it for punishment ideas. Every time there is an infraction they pull a slip from the jar. Keeps it fresh, too.

Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM

never heard of this, thank you

Quoting ame85: Consequence jar. Google it for punishment ideas. Every time there is an infraction they pull a slip from the jar. Keeps it fresh, too. Good luck!

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM
This

Quoting reava: I only have little ones so I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say good luck and give you a bump for some answers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)