Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog owners come in here

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 194 Replies
We have three young kids ranging from 3 months to almost 5 years. I'm looking to get a pup to grow up with them. We rent a house but the landlords okayed a small to medium sized dog. I'd like something that doesn't shed much, is easy to train, and is big enough to be able to go along when I go out jogging. Any advice on the type of breed would be greatly appreciated!!
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyChance
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always been partial to Australian cattle dogs.
Linagma03
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Well I was going to say an Austrailian Shepherd but you don't want one that sheds much. For that you will need to google about dogs. Alot of short haired or smooth coated dogs shed just as much as a long haired dog. You can find good answers by going to the AKC website or even go to Animal Planet and go to the series dogs 101 they have a thing where you enter information about your family, & what you are looking for and it will tell you what different types of dogs will fit your needs and wants. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM
I give Australian Cattle Dogs a second vote.

We have had four over the past 20 years. Best dogs ever and much smarter than our border collies. I could never get any other breed.

Very little actual training is required. I don't remember ever potty training any of them. We put them outside every hour for a few minutes and within a week or two they go to the door and ask to be let out. Can't beat potty training by 9 weeks!

We got our most recent ACD a little over a year ago when DS was 5.5 yrs old. The pup is excellent around him and they love to play together. My son pulls, body slams, drags - all the things kids do to dogs - and the pup has an enthusiastic smile on his gave the entire time. All of our ACDs are that way.

I'm also a jogger and my dogs love going with me.

Quoting MommyChance: I've always been partial to Australian cattle dogs.
cymkare
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Well, except for the shedding part, a Newfoundland would be perfect for you. Number one dog in the world for children. But they do shed a lot. 

KikiKia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

A poodle?  They dont shed. 

Have you checked out your local rescue?

articmom
by IceQueen on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Shiba Inu 😆 except they shed
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you miss the small to med size dog part...

Quoting cymkare:

Well, except for the shedding part, a Newfoundland would be perfect for you. Number one dog in the world for children. But they do shed a lot. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Also wanted to mention that ACDs don't shed like a regular dog. Instead they blow their coat 1 or 2x per year. That means they have one week of intense shedding and then they are done. We've had both short coat and "open coat" ACDs. ( open coat is the longer coat) and we've found that vacuuming our dogs in the evening really helps to grab most of the fur.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Dh has a min pin but that's really small
cymkare
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Oops, I did. I just saw the big enough to go jogging part. 

Quoting Anonymous: Did you miss the small to med size dog part...
Quoting cymkare:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)