Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think a person should be able to marry their deceased fiancé?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
  • 133 Replies

Grieving Woman Gets to Legally Marry Her Dead Fiancé

by Ericka Sóuter

casketLove makes people do crazy things. That is the most logical explanation for one woman's decision to go on with the wedding after her fiancé died weeks before they were supposed to tie the knot. And it's not simply a symbolic gesture. She can legally wed his corpse.

Needless to say, she was devastated when she lost him so close to the wedding date in 2012. But that would not be the end of their love story. How, you ask? Thanks to an obscure French law, President Francois Hollande can allow such a thing under special circumstances. It was established in 1959 after a dam bust in southern France, killing 420 people. At the time, President Charles de Gaulle received a letter from a pregnant woman whose fiance fell victim to the tragedy and he then wrote the law.

In this day and age, it's an unusual choice, to be sure. But one that the woman is intent on carrying through. "I will be his wife, I will carry his name," she told a reporter. "Although he is gone, he is still my man."

I think that at first look, this seem odd, even creepy. It would seem the healthier choice would be to move forward, move on with her life. But anyone who has suffered such an unimaginable tragedy knows that is easier said than done. Perhaps this will actually help her heal. It will bring their love full circle in a way.

It really is a sweet way to honor a love that was cut too short. It's a way of saying he is gone, but the love isn't. I just wonder how friends and family will react? Will she still hold a big ceremony? Do you bring gifts to such a thing? How does that work exactly? I guess all that matters is that this woman has peace knowing that she can still wed the love of her life.

Do you think a person should be able to marry their deceased fiancé?

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

uhm. no. that person is dead - whose to say he or she wanted to actually marry?

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM
6 moms liked this

No. Imagine what a mess it would create with death benefits, wills, and pensions.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No. This just complicates matters so much.
lunyuny
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I would not do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

This opens up a few things dealing with benefits. How would those things be handled? Would this pretty much be in name only?

TerraIncognita
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM
No. I dont want for anyone to marry me without my consent. Talk about creepy.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM

That is creepy and can lead to who knows what kind of confusion!

kersplat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM
No. I dont see how it helps them move on either.
OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this

It is weird that everyone is talking about consent. I mean the guy did ask HER to marry HIM. They were very close to getting married........

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM

No. The mess it would create is astronomical. All the legal documents, life insurance, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)