Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Things I hate about being a travel agent..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 156 Replies
When a customer wants you to quote a trip for them and they give you dates to work with. You spend 2 hours gathering quotes for them, only to email them and have them change their minds and want to move the dates back 3 days and then you have to do the quotes all over again and THEN they ask you to change the dates a third time as well as wanting to add an additional person.

Or how about THEY miss their flight and call you all mad snd wanting you to fix it for them. Yep, I absolutely fix it and take care of the changes, but please don't yell at ME because you're being charged a fee from the airline or me to book a different flight.

I love my job, but there are so many other annoying things people do because they don't have a clue how much goes into it on my end.

What are some things about YOUR job that no one else would understand?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imvanilla
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM
So out of curiosity, is it cheaper to do a Disney Vacation through an agent?
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM
7 moms liked this

You spend two hours getting quotes?  I can do that in 10 minutes online, and you can easily switch dates back and forth on the little tables on expedia, priceline, etc. 

I guess that is why I don't use travel agents.  What are you providing that I cannot do myself for less money? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Can I just say how much I loved travel agents back when I had to book corporate travel? You ladies were awesome. I would call with some crazy convoluted schedule and you would calmly get it all together and find the best rates. I used to think it would be cheaper to do it myself but the agents did it better. To this day I still don't know how they found some of the low rates because I didn't see them online.
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Ahhh, see, this is one of my peeves. You can't do whatI can do. Yes, it takes 2 hours ssometimes because I don't just book little weekend getaways to Chicago. I book full course trips to destinations out ofbthe country most of the time, with airfare, hotel, flights, find exactly which resorts have exactly they want, book their leisure activities and give them MY PERSONAL cell, that they can call anytime there's a problem. Flight is cancelled due to bad weather and you're stuck in an airport at 2 am? You can call me personally, rather than sit on hold with the airline. I can do many things you can't do. I know ALL the rules regarding vaccines you need, when you should and shouldn't travel to different areas, etc.

Quoting TranquilMind:

You spend two hours getting quotes?  I can do that in 10 minutes online, and you can easily switch dates back and forth on the little tables on expedia, priceline, etc. 

I guess that is why I don't use travel agents.  What are you providing that I cannot do myself for less money? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Yes, absolutely. I concentrate more on out of the country trips, but the agency I used to work for before I went independent did a lot of Disney travel and it is so worth it to have someone else handle all the details and find deals that you can't, as well as offer you discounts directly through them.

Quoting imvanilla: So out of curiosity, is it cheaper to do a Disney Vacation through an agent?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Thanks! A LOT of people think they can just jump online, pick something quickly through Orbitz or whatever and be done. There's a lot more to it and for someone who's busy, having a travel agent to handle it all from start to finish is definitely worth it.

My mom books travel for a guy who goes to Africa every year for hunting (legal hunting) and there is so many details involved, like what vaccines are required, what kind of restrictions there are and such. She knows it all. Things people themselves wouldn't know. She's been doing his travel for so long, that he can just email her his dates and say "you know the rest" and she can plan his entire trip, from start to finish for him, without him having to worry about a single detail.

Quoting Anonymous: Can I just say how much I loved travel agents back when I had to book corporate travel? You ladies were awesome. I would call with some crazy convoluted schedule and you would calmly get it all together and find the best rates. I used to think it would be cheaper to do it myself but the agents did it better. To this day I still don't know how they found some of the low rates because I didn't see them online.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, that's great that you give them a cell number to call if they have problems,  but see...I do all of what you state here without paying a middleman. I don't book little getaways to Chicago either.   I can book trips anywhere including flights, hotels, car rental.  I can figure out which hotels have what services, and what events are available in a city.  I can check the CDC site and international site to see what requirements exist, and I know a clinic that provides anything I need for travel. 

I booked one trip for a surgery and had several needs.  I also got special food sent up and a welcome basket after I contacted the hotel manager. 

It is true that if a flight were cancelled, I wouldn't have a workaround source like your cell number, but then I am pretty resourceful.  You can't get the plane back in the air, or get me where I want to go if weather doesn't cooperate.  You can only get me a voucher or a hotel room, and I can do that myself.

What is the profit you are adding on to the cost of the trip?  If it is small, and I want the convenience, I'd maybe use the service, but if it is thousands, no freaking way. 

I still don't see what service you are offering that I cannot do myself without paying lots of extra money. 

So I'd like you to answer those two questions, out of curiosity. Not saying your service might not have value to someone who has no time to do these things or really doesn't know what to do, but I simply have no need of such services, especially at any significant costs. 

Quoting Anonymous: Ahhh, see, this is one of my peeves. You can't do whatI can do. Yes, it takes 2 hours ssometimes because I don't just book little weekend getaways to Chicago. I book full course trips to destinations out ofbthe country most of the time, with airfare, hotel, flights, find exactly which resorts have exactly they want, book their leisure activities and give them MY PERSONAL cell, that they can call anytime there's a problem. Flight is cancelled due to bad weather and you're stuck in an airport at 2 am? You can call me personally, rather than sit on hold with the airline. I can do many things you can't do. I know ALL the rules regarding vaccines you need, when you should and shouldn't travel to different areas, etc.
Quoting TranquilMind:

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Aren't you being paid to provide a service for this person? So what's the problem?
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Typically you don't pay a travel agent, they get commissions from the company.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, that's great that you give them a cell number to call if they have problems,  but see...I do all of what you state here without paying a middleman. I don't book little getaways to Chicago either.   I can book trips anywhere including flights, hotels, car rental.  I can figure out which hotels have what services, and what events are available in a city.  I can check the CDC site and international site to see what requirements exist, and I know a clinic that provides anything I need for travel. 

I booked one trip for a surgery and had several needs.  I also got special food sent up and a welcome basket after I contacted the hotel manager. 

It is true that if a flight were cancelled, I wouldn't have a workaround source like your cell number, but then I am pretty resourceful.  You can't get the plane back in the air, or get me where I want to go if weather doesn't cooperate.  You can only get me a voucher or a hotel room, and I can do that myself.

What is the profit you are adding on to the cost of the trip?  If it is small, and I want the convenience, I'd maybe use the service, but if it is thousands, no freaking way. 

I still don't see what service you are offering that I cannot do myself without paying lots of extra money. 

So I'd like you to answer those two questions, out of curiosity. Not saying your service might not have value to someone who has no time to do these things or really doesn't know what to do, but I simply have no need of such services, especially at any significant costs. 

Quoting Anonymous: Ahhh, see, this is one of my peeves. You can't do whatI can do. Yes, it takes 2 hours ssometimes because I don't just book little weekend getaways to Chicago. I book full course trips to destinations out ofbthe country most of the time, with airfare, hotel, flights, find exactly which resorts have exactly they want, book their leisure activities and give them MY PERSONAL cell, that they can call anytime there's a problem. Flight is cancelled due to bad weather and you're stuck in an airport at 2 am? You can call me personally, rather than sit on hold with the airline. I can do many things you can't do. I know ALL the rules regarding vaccines you need, when you should and shouldn't travel to different areas, etc.
Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN