Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think your kids should babysit and take care of their siblings?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM
  • 442 Replies
8 moms liked this

So thinking about another post, I am seeing people speak of "It takes a village to raise a family." The term being used as to say, grandparents should be babysitters and siblings should be caring for the other siblings, cooking dinner, and so forth.

I do not agree with this in today's society. I agree with chores and responsibilities working as a team. I do not believe that siblings should be raising siblings.

What is even more ironic is, if a teenager gets pregnant, it is expected that everyone in the family to raise/help the teens baby. WTH?

In my household we are a very busy family. I just got home from clogging (early for once) but generally dont get home until 10 pm. We have clogging, groups, church, Girl Scouts, dates, family gatherings going on every week week after week let us not forget sports. There is no way I feel that my siblings should be raising and babysitting on a regular basis.

I have a teen eighteen and sixteen year old. I also have an eight year old. Neither of my teens are ever asked nor would I ever ask they take care of the little one. She is my responsibility and my child. I'm sorry if I had kids and chose to raise my own.

I don't need a damn village to get er done.

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you mean raising, watching while mom goes to the store, or some where in between?
thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I take them with me when I go to the store. It really isn't a big deal. The little one is eight years old. Even when she was a baby I had no issued taking her to the store. But then again, I didn't pop out babies after babies so I felt overwhelmed with a bunch of little racals. I actually enjoy being with my kids.

Quoting Anonymous: Do you mean raising, watching while mom goes to the store, or some where in between?

qkristen5468
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM
7 moms liked this
I had no issues watching my siblings if my mom had to run to the store or something. I DID have a problem watching my siblings while they went out and partied about 2x a week -_-.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM
57 moms liked this

I do expect my older ones to pitch in when I need help. It's part of being a family.

Jblb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Never, I hated sibling sitting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM
9 moms liked this

Kids need to do what they are asked to do. 

inspain
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
5 moms liked this

No way.  

DD1 was 10 when DD2 was born.  I made it very clear to her that she was not obligated or expected to change diapers, help feed or babysit her sister, ever.  

That said, DD1 absolutely adores her baby sister (still hates other babies) and is happy to entertain her and pick out clothes and panic when her little sis climbs up the back of the sofa.  No diapers, no feeding, no babysitting.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

My mother apologized to me a few years ago. I am now 42 years old. I was left to raise my three siblings as young as eight years old. I was cooking by age ten. Summers I babysat the siblings all summer and unable to do antyihng. I couldnt go to the mall, hang out with friends, do sports nothing. My childhood was totally robbed. I did however take my siblings swimming, to the parks and what not. Eventually I got them signed up at the local Boys and Girls Club where I started volunteer/teaching dance as young as 14 just so I could get rid of my siblings. It is fortunate, that because of my situation, led me to my beginning future career teaching dance.

Quoting qkristen5468: I had no issues watching my siblings if my mom had to run to the store or something. I DID have a problem watching my siblings while they went out and partied about 2x a week -_-.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
6 moms liked this
I think it's part of being a family. Sometimes older kids need to watch the little ones, of cours i believe in payment of some kind.

If they have plans, I'd need to know so I can find someone else, and of course they would be asked to watch the youngers in advance.

It's not their responsibility, but I do think it's something they shy do from time to time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I have a 15 yr old, 12 yr old, 8 yr old, and 5 month old. I have had my oldest watch the 2 middle kids while I ran to the store (30 min at the most) maybe twice. It isn't their job to watch each other. They all have responsibilities and chores but I would never take advantage of my older kids and expect them to babysit regularly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)