Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bats can't have braces :-(

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

My DD has high functioning autism and in her world everything is very literal. We have worked so hard with her to think outside of the box. She never would color any animal rainbow or purple-only the color it really is. She has come a longways and just started sometimes showing her creativity.

She came home with the AWESOME bat picture from art. I praised her for it and told I loved the braces . She said, "Well you are the only one. I got I trouble and the teacher would not hang it in the wall cus I guess it was supposed to realistic. And apparently bats can't have braces or have rainbow stripes"

I am so sad! Why would they do that to any kid, but especially her with her autism and they know this is something we have been working on with her! :-(

I gotta get her into a different school-that isy goal for next year!!

I proudly hung it on my wall and her sisters (without my encouragement) said how cool the braces were and she beamed! :-)
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2ljh
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Awwww. I love her bat. That's adorable!
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Sorry. I love it. Nice job
curious1145
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM
I absolutely love the bat with the braces!! It is a great picture!! The teacher is right that it's not "realistic," but she could have been nicer about it!
momof2little1s
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Thanks!

Quoting mom2ljh: Awwww. I love her bat. That's adorable!
Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Art teacher here... I love it and would have proudly hung it up!!!!!!! :)

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I feel that no one should tell someone else how to create! Art is expression and feeling. Creativity at it's best. I think the teacher was so wrong to do that. Every child should feel proud of their work. Yes coloring inside the lines and following directions in the early years is important but so is being yourself when creating. Her bat is cute!

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I love that she is working on her creativity, however, she does need to learn when and where to exercise it. If the assignment was realistic animals, then that wasn't the time for fantasy. I worked with my students a lot on knowing appropriate times for different modes of expression. It may seem silly, but it helps with social cues- if it's time to be serious and you crack a joke, it will come off as inappropriate, this is along the same line.

Either way, the teacher was a bit harsh. I would have explained and probably still hung it up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)