Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Born in Oct when to start Kindergarten?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies

I have two 4 year olds. One of them is very matured and the other is not so organized. They have been in full time pre-school for over a year. It is time for me to decide if I should send my kids to kindergaten this year since my state allows children who turn 5 between Oct 1 and Dec 1 2014 to join kindergated this year with a parental waiver.

Here is my thought. My daughter who is very matured is emotionally and socially ready for regular kindergaten. She changes her own clothes, takes her own shower, recognises most colors, numbers, can count to 100. Writes her name, knows parents names and shares well. 

I think my son is also ready but he is so small that I want to wait a year?

Are you sending your this year?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Wait. I wish my parents would have waited to put me in kindergarten. I was born in October and went into kindergarten when just was 4.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd's birthday is October 5. We waited. It was one of the best decisions we made. She's in 6th grade now.
littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't hold a kid back just because he's small. That's like skipping a kid a grade because they are big.
EsmeVincent
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I would send them both...if by the tme one seems ready for 1st and the other isn't then I would decide then.
taramac
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM
My son was born in october and we waited until he was 5 to start him and I'm so glad we did. My four year old will not start kindergarten until right after his 6th birthday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM
My son is the smallest in his class, he is also the youngest...don't underestimate his abilities to adapt.
masonmansmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We went through decision last year. I am a teacher, asked all the K teachers at my school, and did some research. I say if you are questioning it-- wait. In all my discussion with other moms, not one said they regretted waiting. Whatever your decision I would do the same thing for both kiddos.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I personally would wait until the following year to enroll both.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're not 5 by September 1 here, you can't start K until the following year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM

My daughter's bday is the official cut off for our school district. She was completely ready to start. Any time I ask questions of her teacher, her teacher responds with "You realize she is a young Kindergartner." It has sucked. 

I still wouldn't have changed it. She was ready to start. If you believe both are ready to start, I would do it. I am not usre I would keep one back and let the other start if they were the same age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)