Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is that kid on the airplane such a brat??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 111 Replies

So tomorrow morning we are leaving for Cuba.  I've never flown with ds before, I'm getting a bit anxious.

Autism usually doesn't make a big difference but this is one of those situations where I am nervous because of it.

I will leave his ds on the charger tonight and I am going out (right now) to buy a couple of new games and some headphones.  He also has his tablet and I was thinking I could buy some new books to pack as well.  

Any other suggestions?  

I just want to keep him calm and occupied so it's a peaceful flight.  

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM

See if there is anything you can do to avoid his ears popping. That bothers non sn kids. I can only imagine it's ten times worse for them.

catcameback
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM

BUMP!

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM
4 moms liked this
A little girl in my sons preschool (they are 3 and SN) was given a book for her parents to go through for what's going to happen on an airplane. They are essentially preparing her for what's going to happen (tray tables apparently cause her distress when they can't be down). I thought that was a great idea.

I got snacks, m&ms etc for difficult times such as take off. Books, toys etc
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I agree with the ears popping. Let him pick out some gum to chew on the way up and down.
EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Get him some gum for the ear popping.
TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Will he suck on a lollipop during take off and landing? Chew gum?
Maybe an eye mask if he gets over stimulated and needs to just relax?
A comforting stuffed animal or something in case he gets upset?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Lollipops to suck on are good too if he has issues with gum. I have SPD and I know gum is just pure evil to me.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Sounds like a good plan. I agree with the ears popping. Let him pick out some gum to chew on the way up and down.
MizzSuzy
by Hello Kitty on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Snacks
funny_girl3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM

How old?  We brought my son's blanket on the plane, and I crocheted a special stuffed animal for him to have on the plane.  He clutched that little puppy with a death grip!  DS and tablet should be good, can you load one of his favorite movies onto the tablet?  Sometimes they make you put away devices so I would pack like a travel game or something.  Maybe checkers or sorry?

catcameback
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

He loves gum and rarely gets to have it, so I will load up.  The eye mask is a good idea, I did bring him some fidgets as well, so he can stim to his hearts content while in his seat

Quoting TheSilence: Will he suck on a lollipop during take off and landing? Chew gum? Maybe an eye mask if he gets over stimulated and needs to just relax? A comforting stuffed animal or something in case he gets upset?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN