Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My catholic aunt keeps pushing easter dinner on me.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My aunt is catholic, cool whatever, I don't actually care.  I am athiest, my kids are athiests.  No big deal.

Except when it comes to certain holidays.  Easter for example.  We don't celebrate easter at our house.  I do up a little basket from the easter bunny because the kids are young and they enjoy it, but that is all we do for it.

My one Aunt every damn year keeps pushing Easter on us. ONE year we went and she spent the whole time talking about Jesus to the kids, making a big deal about them not going to church, about DD not have an "Easter dress" and trying to convince me to go to church with them.

Subsequently, every year since I have simply said "we don't do easter."  

This year I did the same, but she laid on the guilt trip and manipulating.  It's getting annoying.  She sent me a message on fb saying "you just HAVE to come to easter dinner, I told everyone you would be here.  It's a family tradition!"

I wrote back "I am very sorry Jane, I have told you before Easter is not something we celebrate the same way you do.  I hope you have a wonderful dinner, but we will not be attending.  I'm not sure why you told people we would be coming, you will just have to tell them we are not.  It has never been a tradition as I was growing up, and it's never been a tradition for my family now.  I don't wish to create waves, but I need to ask you respect me enough that you leave this issue alone.  I trust  I won't hear about it again."

What do you think?  I'm waiting for a response.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jozemom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds good to me.

We don't celebrate Easter either because of its Pagan roots. We celebrate the Lords Evening Meal, but no bunnies or eggs are involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM
If she hadn't acted the way she did when you did go, I would have said if the food is good than just go. If she keeps up I would tell her that since she can't respect my views than she would no longer be involved in my life at all and block her #.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Not everyone celebrates it the same, or at all.  You would think she would understand that.

Quoting Jozemom:

That sounds good to me.

We don't celebrate Easter either because of its Pagan roots. We celebrate the Lords Evening Meal, but no bunnies or eggs are involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Honestly I probably still wouldn't go.  I don't actually like her or her son's.  And I can think of way better things to do than go to a formal dinner for a holiday I don't even like.

Quoting Anonymous: If she hadn't acted the way she did when you did go, I would have said if the food is good than just go. If she keeps up I would tell her that since she can't respect my views than she would no longer be involved in my life at all and block her #.

Jozemom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Not everyone celebrates it the same, or at all.  You would think she would understand that.

Quoting Jozemom:

That sounds good to me.

For someone who claims to respect Jesus Christ, maybe if she knew the truth behind the Eastwr celebration she wouldn't celebrate it either. I think you're being very respectful towards her, I hope she doesn't give you any problems.

theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Your response sound respectful and should be accepted and understood by your aunt. 

jenesis509
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM
We do both the religious dinner and eggs (for the kids) but that's horrible hie she's pressuring you and your kids not very god like
babie113
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM
im atheist and dont celebrate easter .but if my family invite us to dinner I usually dont turn it down .just an excuse to spend time with them .it shouldn't be forced though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM

bump

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I celebrate easter, non religiously. I don't bring Jesus or anything into it. I make a huge dinner, the kids get baskets and its just about family.

If I had someone pushing religion down my throat I wouldn't go either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)