Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They won't rent to me because I am a single mom!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 459 Replies
2 moms liked this

I had never really thought about this before, but the topic came up at work yesterday since one of the women I work with is trying to move.  She and another single mom at work were talking about how difficult it is to find an apartment when landlords find out that they have children. Obviously, they don't flat out deny them since they have children, but they can hear/see the change in attitude when they mention it. The woman currently looking has one three year old son and is five months pregnant. She has a good, steady job that pays well.

I was fortunate enough not to have this problem when I divorced my ex, since my dad owned a mother/daughter house and I was able to move in with him for a little while. When I left there, I bought my own home. So, I never had to rent while I was a single mom.

Is this a common thing? Or are they the exception to the rule?

I was just wondering if any of you had encountered this type of discrimination while looking for housing? 

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tootsiegirl44
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM
When we were renting out our apartment we were very picky. And yes a single mom of two small kids would probably been passed up.

However a single mom if a 15yo might not.

It mostly depended upon my meetingthem.
MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never heard of that. I had no problem finding a place after my separation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM

What is a mother/daughter house?

sweetiebell
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Never been a single mom but it sounds like it would be common.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Never happened to me. But I do know a girl who was denied a rental because she was not affiliated with the military. She is also a single a mom but has a good government position. It was baffling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive had a hard time renting and im single. But for me its finding a place I can afford.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I've never had a problem renting. Neither have any of my single mom friends, unless they didn't have the income needed. But I've never heard of an issue just because of someone being a single woman with kids. What kind of places are they trying to rent from?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I never had a problem when I was renting apartments and I had anywhere from 5 to 7 kids at a time. It may depend on what area she is looking in? The LL  are worried about the damage that can be done to their apartments. Also does the LL live on the premises.....they may not want to hear small children...kwim

Tootsiegirl44
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a house that has a kitchen, bathroom(s), and bedrooms on the upstairs and downstairs levels, that make them separate living quarters.

Quoting Anonymous:

What is a mother/daughter house?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)