Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you obligated to go to a dinner just because a family member invites you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you obligated to go?

Options:

Yes, it's family.

No, it's your life.

Something else.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

I see this opinion a lot on mc.  It baffles me quite frankly.

What if you don't like the person?  You are busy?  Or you simply don't want to?

Do you think a person is obligated to go to a family member's dinner if they are invited?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

BUMP!

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Nobody is obligated to do anything of that sort, really. I was raised with strong family roots so I do make every effort to attend, not because I feel obligated but because I genuinely want to. 

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM
No, but i always do.

And if i wasnt going to i would decline immediately.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I don't think you are obligated but I think its rude to turn down a dinner invite from a family  member. Thats just my opinion tho.  I have some family members that I don't like and I am fairly sure they know better than to invite me to dinner at their house.  If they did I would decline and be ok with being rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

How would it be rude?  If it's rude to say no, then doesn't that make you obligated?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think you are obligated but I think its rude to turn down a dinner invite from a family  member. Thats just my opinion tho.  I have some family members that I don't like and I am fairly sure they know better than to invite me to dinner at their house.  If they did I would decline and be ok with being rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I guess it depends on the reason.  If its for a special occasion, you might be more obligated than usual to go but otherwise, not necessarily. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Nope. Anyone who acts like I am obligated to do things with them, will be obligated to get a lesson in disappointment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Depends on the situation and who it is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Being obligated means you have to do something. Even if you really don't want to do it, you have to do it anyways.  IMO its rude to turn down a dinner invite from a family member(without a reasonable excuse-sick, have to work, etc.)

Quoting Anonymous:

How would it be rude?  If it's rude to say no, then doesn't that make you obligated?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)