Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Social Security Administration requesting receipts *UPDATED**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

I got home from work last night to a frantic message from my MIL, she needed me to call immediately.  Sooo I call her back, apparently she got a letter from Social Security, which she recieves for my 23 year old autistic BIL, they want receipts for where his money is going, as well as her income and my FIL's income, apparently.  I told her I don't really see the issue, that they usually even tell you to hold on to receipts for this purpose, I do not personally recieve SSI so I told her I really can't be much help.  She said she thinks she'll be in trouble because she has no receipts, I said well that might be an issue, so she started listing the various things his SSI is used for
Over the past few months
-PS4
-Laptop
-Samsung Galaxy s4
Regular monthly
-Subscription for an online game
-4 dollars for medication
-Video games he sees and wants
-Whatever is left over is used for other random things, she said usually equipment for this online game he plays, or whatever else he wants, if there is any money left she puts it in to their vacation fund to pay for his portion of vacation expenses

I told her I was under the impression that this money was to go for his NEEDS, not his WANTS.  She said she believes she can use the money however she wants, so she will just be telling them that the entire check is rent he has to pay them.  I told her I had to go get dinner together and I would speak to her later.  I am dumbfounded, I know nothing of SSI, but maybe some of you ladies could help me...what kind of trouble could she be up against?  If any of course.  I do not question my BIL's disability, but I am questioning the handling of his money, my DH said maybe all they will do is just assign a new payee.  MIL did say she was concerned that the amount could be lowered since her and FIL both recieved raises since he started receiving benefits when he was 10, and that was 13 years ago and this is the first time this has happened.  So any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

**UPDATE**

Thanks to all you ladies for you answers!
So we went to my inlaws tonight.  I took a look at the paper and I am not sure where she saw ANYTHING about wanting receipts.  It is a meeting for next week to review my BIL's case, she needs to bring paystubs, bank statements, tax stuff, info about life insurance, she doesn't understand any of it so I told her to just call the number during business hours to see.  She is afraid saying that she thinks they might lower what he gets because of their income, like I said I have no clue how it even works.  They have guardianship over him so I assume their income would help determine it?  Who knows. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM
The government is getting strict because so many people are mishandling the money .I worked as a aide and I see how relatives take there guardian money and do what they need for themselves and it's so damn sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

She should only use the money for needs. Not wants. They are to provide food and shelter out of their own pocket. This is what I was told today when I applied for my DS.  Sounds like his funds are being misused.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

There is no help. She shouldn't have blown it on shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Just make a budget for him.

Rent, utilities, groceries, personal expenses (like hygiene products)

It's not a big deal if he's being taken care of with the money and they are able to provide him the extras. If they're neglecting him and them buying that stuff, then there's the problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I'm pretty sure she can't charge her 13 year old rent. Did I read that right? As his parent, she has a duty under the law to financially suppprt him until he is an adult.

She would be better served to show that she is spending the money on medical expenses and/or therapy. If she is mostly buying electronics, it sounds like they don't need the money to me.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM

My aunt and uncle have dealt with this for years. Every year, they have to meet with a worker and go over the reciepts. Video games, and wants are completely fine.  They have never had an issue with it, and they have been doing it every year for about 15 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Just make a budget for him. Rent, utilities, groceries, personal expenses (like hygiene products) It's not a big deal if he's being taken care of with the money and they are able to provide him the extras. If they're neglecting him and them buying that stuff, then there's the problem.

They have guardianship over him, so is she still allowed to charge him rent?  Just so I can give her a tiny bit of insight

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I'm pretty sure she can't charge her 13 year old rent. Did I read that right? As his parent, she has a duty under the law to financially suppprt him until he is an adult. She would be better served to show that she is spending the money on medical expenses and/or therapy. If she is mostly buying electronics, it sounds like they don't need the money to me.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Depending on how many are in the house he can pay a part of the bills. 4 people he can do 1/4 of each bill. 1/4 of the groceries (adjust to amount of people). Clothing for him, and some wants. They want to know how much is being spent and what is left over. Typically they don't care on what as long as it was used for the person who is getting it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I'm pretty sure she can't charge her 13 year old rent. Did I read that right? As his parent, she has a duty under the law to financially suppprt him until he is an adult. She would be better served to show that she is spending the money on medical expenses and/or therapy. If she is mostly buying electronics, it sounds like they don't need the money to me.

No, he has been recieving the money for him for 13 years, since he was 10, so he's 23.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN