Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smells you couldn't handle during pregnancy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
I'm more sensitive to smells this time around. I don't remember many things throwing me off when I was pregnant with dd, but several things get to me now. I'm almost 4 months, and my most recent discovery is... peanut butter. The smell of it makes me gag.

What are (or were) some things you couldn't handle smelling during your pregnancy (or pregnancies)?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:15 AM

This is extremely specific, but I couldn't stand the smell of black beans. I lived with my husband, his dad, and his sister. They're hispanic so they cook a lot of rice and black beans. Well, my FIL tended to burn the black beans on the stove. The smell permeated the entire house, it was foul. I was upstairs retching and dying from morning sickness, and every time I ventured out of my room, I smelled the black beans again. I didn't eat them for like six months. I'll never forget that gross roiling feeling in my stomach, and the smell of burnt beans. Blehhhhhhhh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Bacon. I couldn't even be in the house if there was bacon being fried in it.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Anything with fake cheese or strong fake flavor smells. Doritos, goldfish, cheese its, boxed Mac and cheese, barbecue chips, those bp and cheese crackers...they literally made me throw up within moments of smelling them. I had to ban them from my classroom and tell my students to eat food with mild natural smells only.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Most everything! I am a bloodhound not pregnant...not good at all pregnant!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Oh no! I love black beans, but I bet the smell of them burning is horrendous! You eventually started eating them again though?

Quoting caito:

This is extremely specific, but I couldn't stand the smell of black beans. I lived with my husband, his dad, and his sister. They're hispanic so they cook a lot of rice and black beans. Well, my FIL tended to burn the black beans on the stove. The smell permeated the entire house, it was foul. I was upstairs retching and dying from morning sickness, and every time I ventured out of my room, I smelled the black beans again. I didn't eat them for like six months. I'll never forget that gross roiling feeling in my stomach, and the smell of burnt beans. Blehhhhhhhh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I bet that's a horrible combination during pregnancy!

Quoting redneckmama4: Most everything! I am a bloodhound not pregnant...not good at all pregnant!
askyourmother
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Cinnabun. Every time I went to the mall it was like instant vomiting (sorry tmi)It was so sickeningly sweet smelling.
spody7
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Me too, I don't like the smell anyway but the smell of cheetos just made me want to gag, that, and Dunkin Donuts hazelnut coffee.

Quoting B1Bomber: Anything with fake cheese or strong fake flavor smells. Doritos, goldfish, cheese its, boxed Mac and cheese, barbecue chips, those bp and cheese crackers...they literally made me throw up within moments of smelling them. I had to ban them from my classroom and tell my students to eat food with mild natural smells only.

Pnukey
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

leather
shoes
grass

These all made me vomit. I still don't like them, but I don't puke when I smell them. 

JoProsMom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Commercial freezers. Weird I know. I worked at target in the grocery area and opening a freezer door to stock made me want to vomit every time.

The air just smelled bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)