Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A vent about the orthodontisit Long

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
  • 46 Replies

*There will likely be spelling mistakes in this, I know I suck at spelling and have stuggled with this my whole life. Please don't be nasty about it**

Yesterday I took my 11yr old dd to the orthodontist for a 6 month retainer check, figured it would be a short and quick visit. Boy was I wrong!!!! Turned out to be one of the more frustrating visits we've had. It started out good, we got there early and they took her back quickly. I sat in the waiting room playing with my 2yr old dd and chatting with other parents who were waiting for their child. After about 45mins older dd was still not done and my 2yr old was getting supper antsy. So we walked back towards where the chairs are (just one big room with a bunch of dental chairs). We find dd not in one of them but sitting off by herself on a bench in tears being ignored by all the other adults back there. I get to her and she is sobbing and begging me to just take her home. I ask what is wrong and one of the assistents speak up and tell me that she's fine and just started crying when I came back (first I asked my dd not you bitch, and second don't f ing lie to me I can tell she's been crying for awhile because of the way her eyes look) I try to comfort my dd while trying to find someone who knows what the f is going on (at this point my sweet little 2yr old is hugging her sister rubbing her back saying "okay?" "Don't cry")

Finally another worker askes if anyone has come out to speak to me, I inform her that no, noone has been out to talk to me. They start in how dd's retainer is broken (not broken losse wire) and that they will have to make her a new one and that we need to disscuss how much that will cost. I told them that we would not be buying a new one because it was not broken when we entered the office and they very well likely did it when they were tighting it. We went back and forth about for about 20 minutes. I swear this woman was not getting what I was saying. She kept asking if we still had dd's molds and saying how that would cut down on the cost and that after the dr. looked at it and dd they would be able to tell me the fee for the new retainer.

At this point they wanted to stick us in one of their two private rooms, because we'd be "more comfterable in there" I told them that no we'd go back out to the waiting room. We waited another 25 mins before they called us back again.

We finally saw and talked to the doc who runs the office. She said that dd didn't need a new retainer and was able to fix her current one also said that in 6 months time she should be done with the reatiner and the "perment" one in the bottom could come out and then we'd talk about phase 2 of treatment, since this was just phase 1. I asked what phase 2 would be and was told could be more braces or perment retainers and we would discuss that and cost in 6 months. I told them there would be no more treatment after we took retainers out, that we were done with their office after that.

Dh agrees we will do any addtional treatment eles where this is just the latest in the issues  we've had with this office.

This visit should have taken no more then half an hour. It took an hour and a half!!!!  DD and myself were told two differnt thingsby two differnt people. And they were trying to make me buy something my dd didn't even need.

On the bright side dd was told she now only has to wear her upper retainer at night. And we don't go back till August and then the bottom one should be taken out and then we will be all done with that office.

***** Adding to this if she does need more treatment ie more braces or prement retainers we will do the treatment we will not with hold treatment we're just going to find a differnt orthodontisit. But dd's teeth are beautifully straight now and I don't see how she could need anything more. If any of you have had braces yourself or family member who did and you had to do a second phase of treatment could you tell me about it?******

****Again I'm know I've misspelled things I tried my best******

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM
I never leave my child alone with any doctor not evendentists. Why was she crying? Dont leave her in their hands
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM

My kids had beautifully straight teeth when they were done with braces, but 2 still have permaent bottom retainers (they are now 19 and 23).  They always will unless they have veneers added.  They also wear a retainer on top at night.  The 23 year old always will.  The 19 year old is getting 2 implants this year (they needed to wait until her jaw was finished growing).  My 20 year old still wears a retainer at night, but may be getting veneers as well on top (which would stop the teeth from moving).

How old is your daughter?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Yes I had braces as a child. I should have had a palate extender. Because I did not,  I needed $20,000 worth of treatment in my 30's for TMJ because the work hadn't been done correctly when I was a teen.  Oh and I had beautiful straight teeth too. I just had a lower jaw that wasn't long enough for a correct bite which damaged my TM joints too!

They had to break my lower joaw on both sides and elongate it.

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
I read this..and i have no idea 1.why your 11yo child would be crying, or 2. What the problem even is.

JayTee80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Our ortho provided a written treatment plan following consult and an update when the plan changed a little. I know he had a second phase but it was during the process, not after his braces were removed.
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM

It's the office policy that just the kid goes back and then someone comes up and talks to the parent afterwards. They say it's so that they have room to work. She was crying because she was told that the retainer was broken, and when they tightened it they made it so it was causing her a good deal of pain and discomfort to wear it, she told them this and they told her she was fine and to deal with it. Also noone would let her come get me. On top of that she was getting tired and hungery at that point. There will be no more of her going back there with out me and they will have to deal with that.

Quoting momaof8: I never leave my child alone with any doctor not evendentists. Why was she crying? Dont leave her in their hands

donnag013
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I had braces twice, because my teeth moved after they took them off the first time, even though I had permanent retainers. It wasn't really a "phase", more like a whole new round. They should have been up front with you about a treatment plan and costs from the start.

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Oh and i just want to add that if you dont continue to use retainers her teeth well move.

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I belive I only ever got a write up about phase 1 but I may go digging threw paper wrok, thanks for reminding me that I may have something somewhere. 

Quoting JayTee80: Our ortho provided a written treatment plan following consult and an update when the plan changed a little. I know he had a second phase but it was during the process, not after his braces were removed.

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM

She's 11yrs old will be 12 in May 

Quoting Not_A_Native:

My kids had beautifully straight teeth when they were done with braces, but 2 still have permaent bottom retainers (they are now 19 and 23).  They always will unless they have veneers added.  They also wear a retainer on top at night.  The 23 year old always will.  The 19 year old is getting 2 implants this year (they needed to wait until her jaw was finished growing).  My 20 year old still wears a retainer at night, but may be getting veneers as well on top (which would stop the teeth from moving).

How old is your daughter?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN