Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ramsey's Financial Peace

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Anyone else been through this class? DH signed us up and we had our first class last night. We already have $2,000 put away so we checked off step 1 (getting $1,000 in an emergency fund). We are only putting $130 a month into Roth IRA though...Did you like the class?

FYI if you are still young you can save $2,000 a year from 19-26 only at 12% interest and already have $2,288,996 ready for you at age 65 for retirement

Story of Ben and Arthur:

Both save $2,000 per year at 12% interest. Ben starts at age 19 and stops at age 26, while Arthur starts at age 27 and stops at age 65. At age 65, even though Arthur only saved for only 8 years and Ben, 39 years, Arthur never caught up with Ben! This is the power of compound interest! 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I've read the book, but have never done the class. His website can be helpful, too. I think he has some good ideas, though I don't agree with everything he says. It's a solid way to get out of debt.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I attended his class, read total money makeover, years before he created a course. I am now an FPU coordinator. Good luck, and way to go on getting baby step 1 done quickly!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

No because we don't have a spare grand laying around that we could just put in a savings account and leave there. Shouldn't he come up with a financial plan for people who actually need it instead of idiots who just don't know how to stop blowing their money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM

You're clearly not as bright as you think you are. (and baby step one can be brought down to $500 if you make $20,000 or less). We know how to budget our money, but there is still more that can be learned, especially for getting out of debt and retirement.

Quoting Anonymous:

No because we don't have a spare grand laying around that we could just put in a savings account and leave there. Shouldn't he come up with a financial plan for people who actually need it instead of idiots who just don't know how to stop blowing their money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM
I wish I could convince my husband to get on board. I've been listening for years and have read the books. But DH just doesn't get it. I feel helpless sometimes. I wish I could do it on my own, but he's the bread winner.

Quoting UCFknight:

I attended his class, read total money makeover, years before he created a course. I am now an FPU coordinator. Good luck, and way to go on getting baby step 1 done quickly!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM

We don't have $500 either. We live paycheck to paycheck with not one dollar left over for saving. Doesn't he charge for his classes too? So it's kind of like, "Let me help you save your money by taking your money!" LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

You're clearly not as bright as you think you are. (and baby step one can be brought down to $500 if you make $20,000 or less). We know how to budget our money, but there is still more that can be learned, especially for getting out of debt and retirement.

Quoting Anonymous:

lunyuny
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM
I would like to start this. Better to try than not
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Have you read the book? He totally points out that most people do not have $1000 just laying around. He gives you lots of ideas on how to get that 1000 quick if you don't have it. Now, I DO think his books are more geared towards people who have some sort debt, including mortgage and cars. If you're the kind of person who's just keeping their heads above water without any debt, I recommend a book called The Money Saving Mom's Budget by Crystal Paine....its more geared towards how to budget and how to save money, I think its more for people who don't really have much debt, just a lower income.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

DH is military, they pay for and then provide this course for free to us. It comes with a workbook, envelope system, dvds, etc. Like the previous poster said, maybe this isn't for you and you need to learn to budget first. Plus I already put in the original post a great way to save for retirement without taking the class.

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't have $500 either. We live paycheck to paycheck with not one dollar left over for saving. Doesn't he charge for his classes too? So it's kind of like, "Let me help you save your money by taking your money!" LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

That's why we would never take the classes. But if you go to the library you can check out the books for free! You don't need the classes!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)