Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this really a big deal?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 31 Replies
My daughters, 9, 5, and 2, love to watch the Marvel movies, X-Men, all the Avengers movies, Spiderman, all of those. They also love the Lord of the Rings movies and the Harry Potter movies.

Well, my grandma found out that I let them watch these movies and absolutely reamed me for it! She says that they're too intense and violent for kids. She said that I'm traumatizing them and will desensitize them to violence.

I just see what the big problem is. I won't let them watch things with tons of bad language or sex scenes. They know that these movies aren't real.

So, am I being a horrible mom for letting them watch these movies?!
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyfesha
by monster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Bump
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

No, my girls love those movies too.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Mine did and still do.  They watch all the crime shows and play war games on the xbox.  We are not violent people and don't carry on like maniacs.  I sometimes think reactions like hers can be what causes problems.  Sorry.  My girls are 13 and soon to be 16 and they are fine, happy, healthy, fun loving girls.  

Arwyn724
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I never censored my girls from movies, books, etc.  They are both well rounded young women, they don't drink, swear, get violent, do drugs...its more how you raise them than what they see in the media.  As long as you are involved in their movie watching to answer questions if they arise, you're doing fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

no i love super heros when i was little and if they were scaring them then yes but if they enjoy them no

LCJan21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Granted they are semi-violent/dark movies (I love all of them, though), you could be letting them watch much worse. My little sister was watching hellraiser when she was their age...and for the most part, she's a well adjusted 20 year old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

All of my kids love the same movies. My dd likes Loki the most. LOL

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up on IT and The Stand, and I'm a fairly....well, I refuse to say normal, but I'm a decently well adjusted human being. 

The Marvel movies and the LOTR movies are awesome.

CorbinsMumma
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My toddler watches The Walking Dead with me lol
mommyfesha
by monster on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM
My oldest tells me that she thinks Thor is hot all the time. Lol! Loki is my favorite.

Quoting Anonymous:

All of my kids love the same movies. My dd likes Loki the most. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)