Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

New "Annie" is an abomination

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 466 Replies
14 moms liked this
In general remaking a movie with all black actors at best adds nothing (Steel Magnolias, Death at a Funeral) but this is just plain bull shit. Annie is a redhead with a mop of curl.

And is it all surprising that while Annie and Daddy Warbucks have been made black, the evil Miss Hannigan is still white?

***Background: Little Orphan Annie was originally a poem, inspired by... A real life orphan of Irish descent. The poem inspired a comic, again with a little red head. And then a radio show, were her red hair was part of the theme song. The Broadway musical followed, again with a red head, and then the film. Little Orphanie Annie is an iconic character with a distinctive look. ***
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM
3 moms liked this
It's more believable with Annie being black...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh FFS.
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't forget The Oz lol.
It doesn't bother me, but I don't like remakes of originals so I won't watch. Isn't Will Smith's daughter playing Annie?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM
14 moms liked this

Firstest

World

Problem

EVAH!

sweetsummer21
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:24 AM
15 moms liked this
Yes it is to prejudices red neck like yourself. It's people like you that set our country. Back 200 years
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Wow.

happynewyorker
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM
11 moms liked this

No, Will smith's daughter isn't playing Annie.  It's QuvenzhanĂ© Wallis. she was in the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild’.

my feeling on remakes is that some Hollywood person couldn't think of an idea to make a new movie and does a remaike. Many of these remakes never lift off and are flops. 

But, I plan on watching this new annie with my daughter, since it's not the color of the persons skin.  It's a movie about children and that's what we care about.

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM
17 moms liked this
I don't understand this need to remake classic movies or a certain race. I watch them all and while good still it's just not the same as the classics. It's not a color thing for me it's the changing of something that's classic. How would some feel if they made jump the broom (loved this movie) into a pro dominantly white film? Or how about Medea? Dr Doolittle (edit this part: my apologies I didn't know the new one was a remake I do plan to look up the origional a I love this movie and I'm sure will love the origional! Thanks for the clairifacation everyone!) Some movies shoul just be left alone they are amazing the first time around. Steps off soap box to get her coffee so don't bash
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM
18 moms liked this
The way I see it is Hollywood is running out of original ideas.
I personally won't see the new Annie just cause I like the one with Tim Curry as Rooster and don't want to spoil it for me if it's not up to my expectations.
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM
3 moms liked this

Not surprisingly, you're misinformed. The new cast is hardly "all black actors" except for the role of Miss Hannigan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)