Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To young to date? **EDIT** $$EDIT#2$$

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 256 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Is 13 too young to date?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, pls explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 503

View Results

My just turned 13 in January dd asked me last night if she could on an actual date to the movies with a 14 yr old boy that she met via Instagram.  We live in a relatively small city.  Only about 300,000 people...

They have been talking/texting/Kik ing/facetiming (I've seen the kid on facetime).....  For about a month or so now. 

I don't know this kid.  She has never met him in person, that I know of.

In my opinion, she is too young to go on an actual date.  Especially, with a boy that I don't know and she has never met in person before.

Thoughts?

**EDIT**  I thought it was clear from my OP that I said no to her, but apparently not.  I said no to her last night.  I came here looking for reassurance that I made the right decision...

$$EDIT#2$$  Yes, I allow my dd on Instagram, FB, Kik, and Snapchat.  No, she doesn not have Askfm, or Hot or Not.  

Yes, we discuss internet safety.

No, I cannot monitor her every move.

No, I am not happy she is meeting strangers on the Internet.  But I can only police so much.

No, I will not make her give up her social media.

Yes, I did ask for reassurance, support, backing and your thoughts on my decision.  

Yes, I completely trust my dd.  I have to.  She's growing up.  I will not helicopter parent her.  But I still have to set some limits and boundaries.

Yes, we have talked about what dating means, what age I feel is appropriate and why I feel it is appropriate.  I have also listened to her thoughts and feelings on the matter.  I am proud of her.  Yes, she asked if she could go, but after discussing it with her, we have come to an understanding.  She has taken my decision very maturely even if she doesn't like it.  By talking to my teen I have earned her trust and if I have her trust then I know I am on the right path.

The lot of you can bitch and complain all you want, but I am so proud of my dd and the decisions and choices she makes. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm torn. The mommy in me wants to say no, but I had my first date at 11 and it wasn't a big deal. I loved the years of exploring that came with finding myself and learning what I liked and wanted. (On innocent terms unless you count kissing) lol. I was a virgin till 18.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM
6 moms liked this

It's simple, if they are NOT old enough to drive then they are not old enough to date. Enable to seriously date, you need to be able to drive. The girl has no business hanging out with OLDER boys that can drive when they are so young....

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM
5 moms liked this
Hell no! How is this even a question?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM

He's 14.  He can't drive...

Quoting thetrollcat:

It's simple, if they are NOT old enough to drive then they are not old enough to date. Enable to seriously date, you need to be able to drive. The girl has no business hanging out with OLDER boys that can drive when they are so young....

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this

YES! It's way too young to go out unsupervised with a boy she's never met. She can wait until she's sixteen to date, and shouldn't ever be meeting people off the internet as a minor! Safety concerns, come on! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM
6 moms liked this

Yes.

And why is she meeting people on instagram? It's time for you to take a little more control over her life. 

You all need to smarten up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Well, I already said no to her and told her that was the end of the story.  She said, "fine" and stomped away from me.  

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I made the right decision.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Hell no! How is this even a question?

momofne
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

How do you know it's a 14 year old kid?

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM
5 moms liked this
My kids aren't even allowed to be on those ridiculous social sites and messenger apps in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)