Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you as a parent react?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM
  • 114 Replies

Hi Mommmies.

Long story short I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12.. I stopped when I fell pregnant with Paisley but started again when Paisley's father (who was also my best friend) left us when Paisley was two weeks old. When I was 14 my mom found out and gave me a lecture/a yelling and made me promise I'd stop. I did stop until she was off my case and started smoking again. I needed it.. I was having panic attacks and nightmares without my daily smokes.. It was bad.

I'm almost 18 and still smoke.. Not only cigarettes.. I'm sure my parents know but they know they have no chance to get me to stop (or are just pretending to not know). So my question is, if you found out your young child or children smoke or started smoking at a young age, how would you react?  

Poppy- x

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I would be upset. How did you get your cigerettes? How would you feel if your dd started smoking that young?

How old were you when you had your dd? Not bashing just curious cause your still so young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Gross. Everything about this is gross.
happymia
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I started smoking at 15. My parents acted all outraged, but my dad bummed my cigarettes. My oldest is 15, and I'd severely punish him if he smoked anything. I'm, talking no door, no cell phone, no hanging out with friends, no more football.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I'd put my foot up her ass!  I'm really not worried though my dd is smart enough not to pick up such a disgusting habit of course she's also smart enough not to be knocked up as a teen!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I doubt I ever have to worry about that. My sister died a couple months ago (at the age if 38) due to lung problems, caused largely by smoking. My daughter is well aware of my sister's illness and that it could've been avoided had she not been a smoker. We talk about how it's a bad habit that only destroys your body. Anything is possible, but I don't think she'll ever go that route.
SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I would have them write me a 10+ page report on smoking.

destiny3513
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure. I smoked at 14, quit at 23. I quit because I knew I never wanted my children (I didn't have any at the time) to see me smoke or think it was okay to do. I'd be pissed, honestly, but he needs to learn his own mistakes. I refuse to see or smell it in my house so..... He's one so I got time to figure out how to handle itn

PoppyGrace
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I don't want them getting into trouble for something they did back then. It was a long time ago but they were friends of my older brothers. I was 13 when I had my girl.

Quoting AZHOTMOM:

I would be upset. How did you get your cigerettes? How would you feel if your dd started smoking that young?

How old were you when you had your dd? Not bashing just curious cause your still so young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

BURN IT OUT ON THEIR TONGUE.

That'll teach 'em.

PoppyGrace
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I know writing this won't bring her back but I'm sorry for your loss.

Quoting Anonymous: I doubt I ever have to worry about that. My sister died a couple months ago (at the age if 38) due to lung problems, caused largely by smoking. My daughter is well aware of my sister's illness and that it could've been avoided had she not been a smoker. We talk about how it's a bad habit that only destroys your body. Anything is possible, but I don't think she'll ever go that route.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)