Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm going to get my GED...*small update*

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 95 Replies
What kinds of math questions should I be preparing for?

I am really terrible at math, in fact my husband has banned me from helping the kids, because I'm that bad. Lol

Example: 25+25=50 everybody knows that. My 7 year old is learning how to count change. I asked how much is two quarters, she didn't know. So I said one quarter is 25¢ right? So if you have two then you add 25+25.

I asked her what 5+5 is, she said 10, then I asked what 2+2 is, she said 4, then I asked what 4+1 is, she said 5. So your answer is 50¢

Her and my husband looked at me like I had 5 heads. :-/ I overcomplicate math, as you can see. Lol.

Also, yes I didn't graduate highschool, I am a highschool dropout, but not because I was pregnant. I dropped out because I had 13.5 credits and needed 26, there was no way with 2 weeks left of senior year for me to get those. So I said fuck it! Bash away if you must.

Small update, I have gotten "the GED for dummies" book and taken the practice tests. I am passing language arts, social studies, and science, I am miserably failing math, highest score on the practice tests was 44%.
I have gotten three books from the library to help me hopefully, they are: "the complete idiots guide to algebra, geometry, and statistics" once I have finished them I will take the practice tests again and see if I do better.
I'm on chapter three of "the complete idiots guide to algebra" and on the first two chapters I have only missed one question on the practice questions. So hopefully by the end I will fully understand math. :D

I am planning to do the GED test on April 11&12th instead of this weekend.

Thanks for all your help ladies! I really appreciate it. :D
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajrjj05
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Ate you really thst dumb?! Congrats and good lck! The test is super easy
Prplesockmonkey
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM
I'm far from dumb, but math to me is like being in a foreign country with no idea what language is being spoken.

Like I said, I overcomplicate math, I take something that should be simple and complicate it...

Quoting ajrjj05: Ate you really thst dumb?! Congrats and good lck! The test is super easy
ajrjj05
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM
How olscare yo f2f

Quoting Prplesockmonkey: I'm far from dumb, but math to me is like being in a foreign country with no idea what language is being spoken.

Like I said, I overcomplicate math, I take something that should be simple and complicate it...

Quoting ajrjj05: Ate you really thst dumb?! Congrats and good lck! The test is super easy
Prplesockmonkey
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Wtf? I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say...

Quoting ajrjj05: How olscare yo f2f

Quoting Prplesockmonkey: I'm far from dumb, but math to me is like being in a foreign country with no idea what language is being spoken.

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I am not sure what questions are on it. But, isn't there a practice test first or something to prepare you? No bashing from me, good job taking the initiative to get it. We all have our weaknesses and strengths. Math was never my strength either.
Prplesockmonkey
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM
There is but I have to wait for my math whiz husband to get home so I can start it. :-/ I'm scheduling for next Friday and Saturday morning. Yay!

But I'm freaking out because I really, really, really suck at math. Nothing about it makes sense. :(

Quoting crysiann: I am not sure what questions are on it. But, isn't there a practice test first or something to prepare you? No bashing from me, good job taking the initiative to get it. We all have our weaknesses and strengths. Math was never my strength either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM
No, it's not super easy. Did you take it? For someone who wasn't in school for awhile, its not easy. If it was easy..everyone would just drop out and take it.

curvygurl1912
by Renee on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM
You will just fine. Just take a practice test before hand and it will show you the areas you need to work on. But you probably know more than you think you do. I used to tutor for the GED test and most people thought they were so bad at math that they couldn't pass it but were pleasantly surprised after the practice test to find out that they knew more than they thought they did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I went to a GED preparation course. It really helped. I highly suggest going to one. I took the practice test thinking I'd pass with flying colors but boy was I wrong. The math is stuff like -3 + 7 = ?
Etc.

But yeah, its not "super easy".
Prplesockmonkey
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Oh no, I'm pretty sure I have no clue how to do math. :-/

Especially when I have to show work. I always end up starting out on the right track and somewhere along the way I take a left turn when I should have taken a right. And it's all done from there, because I can't figure out where I messed it up.

Quoting curvygurl1912: You will just fine. Just take a practice test before hand and it will show you the areas you need to work on. But you probably know more than you think you do. I used to tutor for the GED test and most people thought they were so bad at math that they couldn't pass it but were pleasantly surprised after the practice test to find out that they knew more than they thought they did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)