Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those who "hate picky eaters."

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
  • 111 Replies
2 moms liked this
This is a spin off from another post.

A lot of people in another post said they hate picky eaters, and their kids eat what they fix no matter what.

So I have a few questions for you.

Scenario:

You fix spaghetti for dinner. (Or frankly any kind of pasta with a red sauce.) You have cucumber salad, steamed carrots and fresh mixed fruit for dinner (strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, and cut gapes.)

One of your children doesn't like the sauce. Would you just give them plain pasta?

What if your child just liked raw carrots and not steamed? Would you save him some uncooked?

All of these things can be done easily without becoming a "short order cook."
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this

None of those things require fixing another meal of any kind. I'm okay with that scenario. 

Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
I accommodate my son's and dh's tastes.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Yeah those are very simple accommodations
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM

The sauce I could leave off UNLESS I had already made the meal and mixed it in.  As for the carrots, no he'd be served cooked carrots like everyone else.  With the pasta he is simply loosing a "condiment" but I'm not making a special effort to have raw carrots because he won't eat them warm.

RadnRem
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Yeah, I do things like that all the time. It's no big deal imo
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I have a really picky eater and I'm picky myself. Only one of 3 kids, is picky anyway. I think that's not too bad.

If my kids didn't want what I served, I guess they wouldn't eat. I usually make what I know they all like.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM
The carrots, sure. But plain pasta, no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I never really understood the big deal.  I know what my kids like, I know what they don't like.  My DD doesn't like peas. I don't make her eat them.  She likes lots of veggies(carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) so I don't force her to eat peas.  I can tell the difference between my kids really not liking something and just carrying on because they want to go play(or do something else).  When I fix something new I expect my children to keep an open mind and try it.  They are also expected to be respectful.  There is a polite way to say you don't like a particular item and a rude way to say it.  This doesn't make me a short order cook or mean that I am raising entitled, spoiled brats.

drowningmama
by vendetta on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I have a kid with pica! I would give anything for him to be picky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuchAKillJoy
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a very slight alteration to what is already being fixed. Not a child refusing an entire meal and wanting something else entirely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN