Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Skinny women, Why do you fat shame?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM
  • 313 Replies

I'm not fat. I'm 5'5 and 127lbs i'm fit and stay in shape by running daily. Since the new year i've been going to the gym every other day, i'd like to get more muscle mass. Today there were two ladies at the gym you know the ones that have a couple kids in the child watch and brag about just having a baby and only gaining 3lbs the whole pregnancy because they stayed on their diet? (That's actually what I heard one of them say, I kid you not!) She turns to the other one and says "I can't wait until April when all the fatties give up on their New Years resolution and go out for 31 flavors instead of coming here and taking all the good parking." To which the other girl said "It's hard to watch them run with out laughing." and proceeded to physically mock a fat woman running in slow motion and then grabbed her chest and said "asthma"  They made no attempted to be quiet and said all of these infront of several other people, most of which rolled their eyes and said nothing. I noticed that after a while of being loud and fat shaming one of the male weight lifters who is always there said something to them and they left for the showers. If he hadn't said something I'm sure they would have gone on and on. 

Another day at the same gym I saw a regular and her sister. I don't know the regular's name but I see her all the time she is a heavy woman and she was crying and very upset because of something another woman at the gym said. I remember her sister hugging her and saying "Some women just fatshame to feel better about their miserable lives." I wanted to ask her what happened but I didn't want to be nosy. 

My question is skinny/thin ladies why do you fat shame? I've never understood the practice. 

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't.  Your weight in no way affects me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM
44 moms liked this
My question to you since we are stereotyping is why do fat people skinny shame... You know the good old " eat a burger" or "god you are going to blow away" "guys like curves" .. Should I keep going or can we just agree people in general can be assholes...
blue.chairs
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM
3 moms liked this
That's so sad :-(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM
5 moms liked this

And the same goes for bigger ladies. Why do they do the same thing to smaller girls? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM
4 moms liked this

My guess is because they are unahppy and insecure with their own lives.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I have done it, not something I am proud of. I guess when I am in a bad mood, putting someone else down makes me feel better. I do it much less as I get older, but it still happens. The last time I did it it was in response to someone attacking me first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't m I have been fat. My whole family is fat. I wouldn't ever do it.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM
12 moms liked this

If they're so physically fit, why do they need good parking?  LOL, I guess skinny can't buy you brains!

SommerRayne06
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I have never understood it. I used to be thin and I never talked about another woman's weight in a mean way. Now I am a heavy set girl who has been put down numerous times for my weight including at the gym, so now I no longer go. I couldn't take it anymore. I wish it would have been inspiring, but instead it was shaming and I was too embarrassed to work out with the other women.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Everyone has asshole tendencies. They just chose not to hide theirs. idk? Glad I didn't see it lmao I'm a fatty and I would probably have done something ridiculous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)