Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog food help.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM
  • 21 Replies
I just switched my 10 month old great dane from pedigree to Diamond Natural. First I am 100% aware pedigree is terrible food and its not anything I wanted to feed my dog, however his daddy had an extremely sensitive stomach and any premium or prescription dog food gave him terrible runs. We actually tried for a year before I finally said screw itf and threw him on pedigree. Go figure it stiffened him up. Anyway he recently passed and we only had our pup on the same food because our senior would try to eat his stuff. Anyway since switching him a little over a month ago he's had terrible dandruff and I've noticed now he needs his anal glands extracted which usually is linked to allergies. I think he's allergic to the food. What's a good allergy sensitive food?
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jblb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM
No idea - can you call a vet or the humane society?
momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I will call the vet tomorrow, but was hoping someone had a suggestion.
momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Bump
ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I know my dog was dealing with some serious issues.  We ended up switching him to a grain-free food, but that didn't help.  It was suggested to switch him to an alternate meat, such as lamb.  We've put him on lamb and rice and he's done really well and is getting a lot better.

Smh77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
4health grain free is great. ONLY AT TRACTOR Supply tho.... If you have one there. My girls love it... And they have very different needs. GL!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Pedigree

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM
If you can do the allergy tests, that would be good. Otherwise, go grain free and eliminate whatever meat is different in the new food. Compare the labels, it's likely the allergen is in the top 10 ingredients. Common allergies are chicken and lamb. My sensitive system dog is on a grain free, high protein bison food.
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Canidae, I'd do the Pure Sea

wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Blue Buffalo
momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Yes we do. That's where I get mine now.
Quoting Smh77: 4health grain free is great. ONLY AT TRACTOR Supply tho.... If you have one there. My girls love it... And they have very different needs. GL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)