Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He's hurting other people and I don't know what to do

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
My son turned 2 in December and has always been emotional, if you tell him 'no' or just don't do something he wants he has always gotten very upset and thrown fits. I know kids do this for attention, he is my 3rd baby, but with him it has always been different, he used to bang his head on anything, HARD, then he started to hit himself, once again HARD, and with his knuckles.
Many kids go through phases like this, I am aware of that, but now he his started hitting, biting, pinching, kicking and pulling other peoples hair. He does this to anyone around him and when deprived of others, he falls back onto hitting himself. He is a sweet boy normally, but when he throws his fits, I just don't know... He is NOT spoiled and we have always been firm but fair, same as my other children. Sometimes he goes days without a tantrum, some days he throws 6.
I am at my wits end, I've tried everything from ignoring them (as long as he's not hurting others or himself) trying to calm him down while rocking him (which usually just ends with me hold in him down so he doesn't Burt me or himself, while still cooking to him) time outs, my husband has even given him swats on the butt (which I don't like, how can you teach someone not yo hit by hitting them?) I am a just lost...
He has been tested for delays, he is severely speech delayed and slightly delayed with fine motor skills and will be having a special needs teacher teaching him, but it's only a few times a week and not for another 2 weeks.
Can someone please give me suggestion? I need some help. Thanks for reading his all.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Don't let anyone near him. Time outs until he is done with his tantrum. When he can reach people, and hurt them, he gets a reaction. That's what he's looking for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Autistic?....
belindah
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Try a comfort area.  Take a large box(kids love boxes) remove the flaps, place it on it's side.  Inside place some pillows, and blankets and stuffed animals, when he gets out of control tell him to go to his hiding place (the box) and calm down.

The headstart where my kids went did this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
That is a great idea, I will give it a shot

Quoting belindah:

Try a comfort area.  Take a large box(kids love boxes) remove the flaps, place it on it's side.  Inside place some pillows, and blankets and stuffed animals, when he gets out of control tell him to go to his hiding place (the box) and calm down.

The headstart where my kids went did this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he was, and being seen by a SN teacher I should be able to get some answers/help.

Quoting Anonymous: Autistic?....
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM
I do do that, and sometimes it works, most of the time he'll start hitting his head and I have to step in if he starts doing it hard enough.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

Don't let anyone near him. Time outs until he is done with his tantrum. When he can reach people, and hurt them, he gets a reaction. That's what he's looking for. 

StarLight23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM
This may or may not be Autism. I think he may have a sensory disorder. Sensory Processing disorder can occur in kids with autism but not always. You can have Sensory disorders and NOT have autism. Sensory disorder means that you can have either one of two extremes. 1 Hyposensitivity (this basically is where they don't 'feel' like we do) 2 Hyper sensitivity (this is when they are very sensitive to touch and it can feel like you're physically hurting them) There can be issues with clothing too. I would google it. That frankly came to mind when you said he hits and bangs his head and everything. He is two though and some of these things are perfectly normal for two. I had problems with my son pulling my hair and biting me. Hang in there momma!
Quoting Anonymous: It wouldn't surprise me if he was, and being seen by a SN teacher I should be able to get some answers/help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:29 AM

I am definitely not labeling him, I am just not taking anything off the table, either. I will look into sensory disorders, thank you for you support. 

Quoting StarLight23: This may or may not be Autism. I think he may have a sensory disorder. Sensory Processing disorder can occur in kids with autism but not always. You can have Sensory disorders and NOT have autism. Sensory disorder means that you can have either one of two extremes. 1 Hyposensitivity (this basically is where they don't 'feel' like we do) 2 Hyper sensitivity (this is when they are very sensitive to touch and it can feel like you're physically hurting them) There can be issues with clothing too. I would google it. That frankly came to mind when you said he hits and bangs his head and everything. He is two though and some of these things are perfectly normal for two. I had problems with my son pulling my hair and biting me. Hang in there momma!
Quoting Anonymous: It wouldn't surprise me if he was, and being seen by a SN teacher I should be able to get some answers/help.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
He cannot express himself he's locked inside of his own head.

That's his problem. Start teaching him sign language and give him a way too speak.

My son is 2 and had a vocab of a 4 yr old and speaks in full complete sentences.

Now with that said he still flips his lid when he can't vocalize what he wants.
StarLight23
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM
You are very welcome. You can also message me if you want. I know this might be frustrating now, but remember that this phase doesn't last forever.(though it feels like it is!) I saw also that he's very speech delayed. Maybe you could try asking him to show you what he wants. My son could point so all I had to say was for him to show me and he did.
Quoting Anonymous:

I am definitely not labeling him, I am just not taking anything off the table, either. I will look into sensory disorders, thank you for you support. 

Quoting StarLight23: This may or may not be Autism. I think he may have a sensory disorder. Sensory Processing disorder can occur in kids with autism but not always. You can have Sensory disorders and NOT have autism. Sensory disorder means that you can have either one of two extremes. 1 Hyposensitivity (this basically is where they don't 'feel' like we do) 2 Hyper sensitivity (this is when they are very sensitive to touch and it can feel like you're physically hurting them) There can be issues with clothing too. I would google it. That frankly came to mind when you said he hits and bangs his head and everything. He is two though and some of these things are perfectly normal for two. I had problems with my son pulling my hair and biting me. Hang in there momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)