Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling all Teachers!!!! Is this close enough to be considered plagiarism? (x/post)

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Plagiarism?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Someone please help me. This is not my work but a groupmate. He swears that this is not plagiarism. I think it is and if we turn it in and get hit with plagiarism we all get expelled. Please help.

Groupmate:

"West Capital Industries specializes in the manufacturing of advanced laptop, tablet, and smartphone cases for individuals of all ages. Our company seeks to produce high quality cases that will protect the devices that our customers use to plan their lives as well as provide additional utility through different features and promote self-expression through individual quality designs. 

West Capital Industries is an international organization, publically traded under the ticker WCI and headquartered in Merica 2. We also maintain a market presence in the domestic markets of Merica 1 and Merica 3, as well as the foreign markets overseas in Nystok. Thanks to modern manufacturing phone cases can be produced in three levels of quality with three distinctive levels of features - West Capital strives to provide cases of higher quality and a higher number of features to differentiate ourselves from the competition. The quality levels are differentiated by our unique designs, material quality and effectiveness at protecting their devices, while our feature levels are split up by the level of increased usefulness the case provides to the owner."

Original:

"Smart Accessories Corporation specializes in the manufacturing of advanced phone cases for young and creative consumers who range from 12-40 years old. Our company seeks to produce cases that not only protect the investments that our customers have made in their communication devices, but also add additional utility through creative features and individuality through unique quality designs.

SAC is a publicly traded, international firm headquartered in Merica 2 that has a market presence in Merica 1, Merica 3, and Nystok. Today, our phone cases can be produced in three levels of quality with three distinctive levels of features. The quality levels are differentiated by our unique designs and chosen materials, while our feature levels are distinguished by the increased utility offered by additional features added."

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

It is plagiarism. Plus, his attempts at making it look like it is not plagiarized actually detracted from the quality of the piece (he reworded things in an awkward way).

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes its pretty blatant and any good progrAm would pick it up.
ARACMOM
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM
If it is properly quoted and cited it isn't,.
MissTacoBell
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Oh thank God its not just me. I don't know what to do! :-( If I turn him in we are screwed, if I let our group publish it like this we are screwed. If I ask our advisor we are screwed! I've worked so hard for 4 years and I didn't go through that hell just to get screwed by some entitled little prick. :-(

MissTacoBell
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:00 AM

It's a business plan. You're not supposed to consult outside sources to need one. :-(

Quoting ARACMOM: If it is properly quoted and cited it isn't,.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:00 AM
He specifically changed small.things...so cant quote and a citation wouldnt suffice for that much copied info...citation is good for paraphrasing and idea.

Quoting ARACMOM: If it is properly quoted and cited it isn't,.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM
So make him change it.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Oh thank God its not just me. I don't know what to do! :-( If I turn him in we are screwed, if I let our group publish it like this we are screwed. If I ask our advisor we are screwed! I've worked so hard for 4 years and I didn't go through that hell just to get screwed by some entitled little prick. :-(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM

No, I wouldn't use that.  Does he have a summarizing problem or something?  Also, make sure you cite the source, no matter what.  You can get away with putting direct quotes in the paper as long as you cite it afterwards and in the works cited page.  It isn't recommended that a lot of direct quotes be used, though.  If he won't listen, talk to your instructor about the group project.  I'm sure he/she will have suggestions.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Why can't you ask your advisor, that is what they are there for? Tell the advisor the situation before the project is turned in. You could even be nice about it and say that while you realize that it is plagiarism, your teammate does not seem to understand and so he needs some guidance.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN