Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oil pulling? Has anyone ever tried this?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM
  • 76 Replies

A friend posted about this on facebook today (link for anyone who doesn't know what it is http://www.fashionlush.com/wtf-is-oil-pulling-why-im-hooked/) Basically you put a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it aound and pull it through your teeth for 20 minutes. The list of benefits sounds amazing, almost too good to be true. I tried it for the first time this morning. As soon as I put the oil in my mouth I nearly threw up, but as soon as it liquified it was ok. I couldn't keep it in my mouth for more than 5 minutes, its a workout swishing it around for that long! I'm going to keep trying, I figure what does it hurt, its only coconut oil! Has anyone ever tried this? Did you see any benefits from doing it?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I just saw a friend post this on FB yesterday. I am very skeptical that it actually does everything this link lists, but bump because I'm curious. 

Moo_point
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Bump my sister just told me about this. I will be trying it in the near future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I'm pretty skeptical too. I just happened to have a jar of coconut oil in the pantry, so I'm going to give it a few weeks and see if I notice any changes. I'll come back and update!

Quoting CrimsonRose01:

I just saw a friend post this on FB yesterday. I am very skeptical that it actually does everything this link lists, but bump because I'm curious. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM

wtf is is "pulling" I don't understand "pull it through your teeth for 20 minutes"...pull with what?

I got it...too early and I wasn't thinking right. I was thinking literal pulling.

singlemom416
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM

There's no proof that it really works.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

wtf is is "pulling" I don't understand "pull it through your teeth for 20 minutes"...pull with what?

Like kind of a sucking motion....like swish, and suck. I really have no idea how to explain it lol. Put your teeth against the inside of your bottom lip and suck, you can kind of pull the spit through your teeth, same concept with this. Which is why I couldn't last 20 minutes......that takes a lot of tongue muscle hahaha!

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I'm trying to research it, and all I'm coming up with are endless articles about why you should do it. I want to see in the comments people who have actually done it and have seen changes, kwim? I'm going to experiment for a few weeks and see what happens.

Quoting singlemom416:

There's no proof that it really works.

destiny3513
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I did it for a few weeks. Once I stopped I got sick. Could be coincidental. You aren't supposed to swish... just kinda let it move around, it's supposed to be relaxing. I gotta start back up again, I need a new oil jar.

mlpcrusader
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Bump for reading.
Barronbaby
by Brandi on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I'm going to try it. I have sensitive teeth and I'm allergic I all tooth paste for sensitive teeth :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)