Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disney world...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are taking our two kids ages 2 and 6 to Disney world for my sons birthday. We already have plane tickets paid for and our hotel stay has been paid in full. How much money should we bring with us for the parks and eating and stuff like that? 

We will be staying Wed- Saturday.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I don't think I've ever eaten in the park either, except epcot. My best friend is a chef at one of the resorts so he knows the best spots for food. 

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Well, it is the same food you buy in the park. However, I just never found it a savings. Or I should say you have to work really hard to make it a savings. 

Quoting kbutton24:

I've never been a fan of the meal plans. It's all cafeteria food.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

I've always found the dining plans to be a huge waste of money. 

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

If you're staying at a resort on Disney property you will be sent the bands--you won't need to carry cash as they will charge it to your hotel bill.

I'm curious, why you didn't buy the meal plan?  Your 2 year old is FREE to eat--We're going next year and the meal plan is a HUGE savings.

kjsmama0206
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Well I did enjoy my nice large steak and my yummy dessert. We sat down at a nice restaurant every evening. We usually at our quick meal at the hotel which had good food choices. And the snacks were more like an extra meal that we usually used at breakfast. I know I got my money's worth.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

We go to disney at least once a year. We've used all the dining plans and there is no value there. Unless you sit down and find all the most expensive things to eat, but who wants to eat that way?

Quoting kjsmama0206: At disney? No way would've spent way more than what I payed (I kept a record of my costs vs what I paid) universal yes the meal deal is not good, really limited locations and options)

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

If you're staying at a resort on Disney property you will be sent the bands--you won't need to carry cash as they will charge it to your hotel bill.

I'm curious, why you didn't buy the meal plan?  Your 2 year old is FREE to eat--We're going next year and the meal plan is a HUGE savings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

We always do. We stay on site and don't leave WDW. I don't understand leaving to eat at chain restaurants. I can eat at OG at home, lol. But I  know people swear by it. 

Quoting kbutton24:

I don't think I've ever eaten in the park either, except epcot. My best friend is a chef at one of the resorts so he knows the best spots for food. 

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Well, it is the same food you buy in the park. However, I just never found it a savings. Or I should say you have to work really hard to make it a savings. 

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

depends on what you want. 
We went in 2011......

Took a backpack full of snacks: granola bars, rice crispy treats, fruit cups, cereal bars, bottled water, juice boxes you get the idea.

We loaded the boys up with a big breakfast; lunch was granola bar, fruit etc... Dinner time, after the dinner rush we got dinner..... Pecos Bill in Magic Kingdom had kids meals that were sandwich (burger) fries, fruit, milk for under $6. We each had a meal... total averaged out to less than $10 per person (we had the 2 kids, and 6 "adults"). At Hollywood, we ate at Backlot Express, again under $10 per person. 

Souviners my MIL gave each of the kids $50 for the duration of vacation that I wasn't allowed to tell them how to spend.

We didn't stay, we drove in and out from Daytona for our 2 days.

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

If you think so, thats all that matters I guess.

Out of curiouslty, where did you eat?

Quoting kjsmama0206: Well I did enjoy my nice large steak and my yummy dessert. We sat down at a nice restaurant every evening. We usually at our quick meal at the hotel which had good food choices. And the snacks were more like an extra meal that we usually used at breakfast. I know I got my money's worth.
Quoting imthatgirl0607:

We go to disney at least once a year. We've used all the dining plans and there is no value there. Unless you sit down and find all the most expensive things to eat, but who wants to eat that way?

Quoting kjsmama0206: At disney? No way would've spent way more than what I payed (I kept a record of my costs vs what I paid) universal yes the meal deal is not good, really limited locations and options)
Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Oh I mean restaurants in the park (different resorts) minus one sushi place we ALWAYS go to. For about $50 per person, you can sit at the sushi bad and get whatever and however much you want, made right in front of you. We're obsessed

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

We always do. We stay on site and don't leave WDW. I don't understand leaving to eat at chain restaurants. I can eat at OG at home, lol. But I  know people swear by it. 

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I pretty much find the esort food to be the same as the park food. There are very few exceptions, like Victoria and alberts and artist point. 

Quoting kbutton24:

Oh I mean restaurants in the park (different resorts) minus one sushi place we ALWAYS go to. For about $50 per person, you can sit at the sushi bad and get whatever and however much you want, made right in front of you. We're obsessed

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I also think the dining plans are a huge waste of money. The first year we went we did one and ended up not using most of it...our stomachs could not handle all that mass-produced, preservative-laden heavy food day after day.

The second and subsequent years, we nixed the dining plan and paid for club level (at the Polynesian). It's more money for lodging but less than a dining plan costs. Request the Hawaii building, where the club-level dining is at the Polynesian. They have oatmeal, fresh fruit, juices, cereal, assorted pastries for breakfast, small plates for lunch & dinner. Really good fare, much better than the standard park food. Oh, the best part is the cocktail/dessert (milk & cookies for the kids) every night around fireworks time. My favorite part of the Polynesian...the perfect view for fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from one of the hammocks on the beach, or the window from the club-level dining room in the Hawaii Building.

You can take a small soft cooler into the parks, and with the club level, you can request yogurt, fruit, small sandwiches, bottled water, etc.   

nanny1918
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I would buy the meal deal and tickets to the parks now.
Have a great time !

Quoting Anonymous:

yes polynesian gardens

Quoting nanny1918: Are you staying in a Disney hotel ?
You can go online and see all of the Disney menus and prices.

kjsmama0206
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM
A few places at epcot (seafood was yummy Mexican was not good), the dinosaur place at downtown disney, ummmm... then we had breakfast with mickey and African buffet with the characters at the wild life place sorry I am drawing a blank at the name of that park for our sit down meals. The quick meals were sometime at our hotel, sometimes at the diners in the park, usually just wherever we were when we got hungry. The snacks were usually our breakfast at the hotel. Beside the fact that it may or may not save money it was just nice not to have to worry about it. It was all prepaid. I didn't have to worry about a food budget just ate what we wanted when we wanted.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

If you think so, thats all that matters I guess.

Out of curiouslty, where did you eat?

Quoting kjsmama0206: Well I did enjoy my nice large steak and my yummy dessert. We sat down at a nice restaurant every evening. We usually at our quick meal at the hotel which had good food choices. And the snacks were more like an extra meal that we usually used at breakfast. I know I got my money's worth.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)