Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can we do a better job for moms raising kids with special needs?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 98 Replies

CM and The Stir would really like to provide complete information and support to moms of special needs kids who come to us looking for help. You all are amazing and help our members so much!

What can we do to be the ultimate place for these moms to go?

Do we need to provide better resources and information?

What kinds of real-life stories would you like to read?

What would we need to do to provide all of the help and support moms need when raising kids with special needs - where you wouldn't feel like they needed to be sent anywhere other than cm and The Stir?​

Are you willing to share your story or advice? Let us know in the comments!

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rileysmom83
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I have a 11yo son living with ITP, and I actually came across this site looking for other moms going thru the same. He is scheduled for a bone marrow draw, and I would love to chat with someone who may have already been thru  this and what I can expect. 

happymommy1105
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM
22 moms liked this
Stop.letting.idiots who.spew.misinformation write.for.the stir.

Half the stuff I read on.the stir makes me feel less.intelligent and doesn't even.line up with the facts that are in the linked article.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Cafe Steph:

CM and The Stir would really like to provide complete information and support to moms of special needs kids who come to us looking for help. You all are amazing and help our members so much!

What can we do to be the ultimate place for these moms to go? I discovered your site through looking on the web for information in relation to my son's medical condition. If I hadn't found that post, its highly unlikely I would have found this forum. I'm in the UK and you do not show up or at least 15 pages in Google.

Do we need to provide better resources and information? I'm more than happy with what you provide.

What kinds of real-life stories would you like to read?
I would like to hear from other mums who have ASD kid's like mine. I want to read about how well their children are doing, how they did it, what avenues I could go down etc. I want to read about how successful a child is becoming in breaking all the odds, surely I am not alone in this? I would like to read about positive experiences, yet have on the side an list of resources such as a reconmended reading list. In saying that, all the resources in any of the Autism Forums on CM are USA based.

What would we need to do to provide all of the help and support moms need when raising kids with special needs - where you wouldn't feel like they needed to be sent anywhere other than cm and The Stir?​
You would need an active Admin to keep that sector of the forum alive. Due to many having limited time, the Autism forums are not so active. If  the Admin is not active, the groups dies a slow lingering death.
There is also the factor that it feels like groundhog day over and over again when the same topic is brought up again and again. The Vaccine debate has been flogged to death so many times that horse's ass is perfect for making shoes with lol!Having and active Admin in the special needs section should bring forward interesting articles/books/reconmendations/blogs etc to get the conversation flowing and be active in keeping the conversation going.
Maybe have sections for different nations. USA, UK, Ireland/Europe etc to enable mums to connect with someone in their own country or for those who are moving country such as the Miliary Mums who move from place to place that they could have a pen pal to chat with before moving.

Are you willing to share your story or advice? Let us know in the comments!
I'm up for it.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM
4 moms liked this

THIS.
Half the Stir writers don't seem to have any clue what they're talking about, and tend to reference studies done decades ago. 

Quoting happymommy1105: Stop.letting.idiots who.spew.misinformation write.for.the stir. Half the stuff I read on.the stir makes me feel less.intelligent and doesn't even.line up with the facts that are in the linked article.

Robin-Christine
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

save

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I'm in a few special needs groups on here and share what info I know.  My son has a very rare genetic disorder and I don't think I've met another mom on here who has a child with the same Syndrome as my son.  There's a facebook page for parents of kids with Joubert Syndrome but nothing on here. We're a small group though.  Only 900 known cases worldwide.  I've talked about my son with Joubert on here and my son with Aspergers a few times. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
More information and support for parents of children with mental illness or for kids who are doubly gifted (special needs and gifted). Resources available that are not income restricted.
Caidysmom
by MindyM on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Covering different levels of special needs and making sure tree is an admin to keep it active.
I am always willing to tell my dd's story if it will help!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
8 moms liked this

Offer actual advice, instead of the moms who sit around attacking us and our " snowflakes"

lillettemomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I have 2 SN toddlers with multiple diagnosis pregnant with another SN baby....plus I have sn myself and so does df.....I would love to see more info and maybe broken up into ages (babies toddlers elementary teens young adults and older adults) so we can find things easier and different sections for asd MI physical disabilities ect....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN