Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm losing ANOTHER job because I can't find a way to control my ADD symptoms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
I feel like such a failure. A disappointment to my family. I have so many goals and interests and my life is going by and I'm just fucking everything off.

This time I was writing down everything I did to hold myself accountable so I wouldn't get lost daydreaming or get distracted or hyper focus. Well I spent too much time and energy writing everything down...and too much time and energy organizing my tasks by priority and then I still got flustered and didn't know where to start so I ended up working on low-priority items first just to start somewhere so I fucked off some high-priority items. Of course in hindsight, it's easy to see where I went wrong.

I don't understand this. The way that normal people function on an efficient level just mystifies me. I want that and I don't know how to get it.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Are you medicated?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Why not go to a doctor, get evaluated, start treatment, and consider meds? You obviously cannot mange it on your own. There is no shame in treating a medical condition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Counseling, medication. It helped me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I agree.

Quoting Anonymous: Why not go to a doctor, get evaluated, start treatment, and consider meds? You obviously cannot mange it on your own. There is no shame in treating a medical condition.
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM
I'm medicated and there are times I still have problems. Thankfully I work for my best friend and she has ADHD too, so she totally understands when I forget to do things or leave stuff half done.
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Have you tried medication? Or caffeine?
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Try medication!
sarasunshine99
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Take a deep breath.  Don't look back, what's done is done.  Focus on securing your own "mask" before assisting anyone else.  Once you are secure (and health issues are under control) you will be able to help anyone and everyone.  Just keep yourself as the focus...if you cannot breathe, how can you help others breathe?

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I was diagnosed with ADD and took meds until I decided I didn't want to anymore when I was about 13. I definitely still needed them, but...

The POINT is, is that once I was listening to an NP story about adult ADD, and a woman was telling a story about how she was diagnosed as an adult - given a script for meds and went and got them filled. She said she took the very first pill in the pharmacy parking lot, and began to drive home. After about 20 minutes, she said she stopped at a red light. And she watched the red light. 

After a minute or two, she said it dawned on her that she wasnt thinking about anything but waiting for that light to turn red. And how strange it was. How usually, her mind was never quiet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM
stop looking for yourself to fail because you have gotten yourself a label of add.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)