Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gross!!! Discipline issues with my daughter :(

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 51 Replies

My 3, almost 4 year old daughter has started this horrible habit of sucking her snot back up through her nose and into her throat to swallow instead of blowing her nose. When I tell her it is gross and ask her to stop, she just does it more. We have other power struggle issues that I am trying to eliminate through consistant discipline, but she is really a tough case. Anyways this snot sucking thing drives me insane. It really makes me gag. I cannot get her to stop. I told her to go in the bathroom to do it if she insists on it but now when I put her in time out she does it the WHOLE time. Like every 3 seconds, really loudly and I cannot walk away because I have to be out of sight, but within earshot because she will get out of time out and stuff if I am not. There are WAY bigger issues that we are working on, like her purposely hurting her brother, taking food out of the fridge without asking, screaming at me and her dad and hitting us. It is hard. She is currently in the hall outside my room screaming at the top of her freaking lungs, "I AM COLD!" because the snot nasty thing did not work. She wants me to send her to her room so I will not have to hear her, but I am not going to do it because she shoved her baby brother to the ground. I am at a loss. I have told our pediatrician that I think she has ADHD and ODD and that she needs help, but they refuse to do anything until she is 5. I am so bummed she woke up in a bad mood because now both me and her brother will have to deal with her screaming at us, doing gross things, and physically being violent toward us all day.

It kills me... I tried to do everything the "right" way. The way I thought would make my kid turn out calm and happy... not going to say what I thought the "right" way was because I don't want people to think I am judging if they did things differently... what works for your family, you know. I am just so sad.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM
5 moms liked this
Id let that one go. Its not a battle worth picking to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quirky_mama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry :( I have a 3 year-old. (4 in Oct.) I won't pretend to be an exspert because let's be honest, I only have the one. (Well 2 but the other one is 1 1/2) 

With my dd I've found the key is consistency, consistency, consistency! Sounds like you have a strong willed one there. Hang in there! My parents (they had 6 of us) always said, "terrible two's? HAH! the THREE'S are the hard ones". Your not alone! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd let a 3 year old run my house. Show her who is boss now!!!! And if that means spanking, so be it. My son is 4 and that crap would never happen
LeKendria
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I would pank her butt. Give her 3 good swats on her behind when she misbehaves. You are letting her run your house and that just isn't the way it should be. You are the parent and that should be well known to your children. Otherwise, how can you raise them?

starlighthippie
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I have tried spanking. I never wanted to, but I felt out of options. It just made things worse.

Quoting LeKendria:

I would pank her butt. Give her 3 good swats on her behind when she misbehaves. You are letting her run your house and that just isn't the way it should be. You are the parent and that should be well known to your children. Otherwise, how can you raise them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
You think your toddler has ODD because she doesn't like blowing her nose? And to think some people believe that fictional disorders are over diagnosed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Why can't she go to her room?

As for the snot thing, I say ignore it. It's a bodily function therefore no real way for you to stop her. She's doing it to annoy and manipulate you. Don't let it work.
starlighthippie
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Because that is a reward.

Quoting Anonymous: Why can't she go to her room? As for the snot thing, I say ignore it. It's a bodily function therefore no real way for you to stop her. She's doing it to annoy and manipulate you. Don't let it work.

starlighthippie
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM

No, I think she has ODD because she is incredibly aggressive for a 3 year old. She fits the diagnostic criteria. Also, her father and I have ADHD, which is inherited from parents, and 40 percent of kids with ADHD also have ODD.

• frequent temper tantrums
  • excessive arguing with adults
  • active defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules
  • deliberate attempts to annoy or upset people
  • blaming others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
  • often being touchy or easily annoyed by others
  • frequent anger and resentment
  • mean and hateful talking when upset
  • seeking revenge
Quoting Anonymous: You think your toddler has ODD because she doesn't like blowing her nose? And to think some people believe that fictional disorders are over diagnosed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
6 moms liked this
All symptoms of being a toddler.

Quoting starlighthippie:

No, I think she has ODD because she is incredibly aggressive for a 3 year old. She fits the diagnostic criteria. Also, her father and I have ADHD, which is inherited from parents, and 40 percent of kids with ADHD also have ODD.

• frequent temper tantrums
  • excessive arguing with adults
  • active defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules
  • deliberate attempts to annoy or upset people
  • blaming others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
  • often being touchy or easily annoyed by others
  • frequent anger and resentment
  • mean and hateful talking when upset
  • seeking revenge
Quoting Anonymous: You think your toddler has ODD because she doesn't like blowing her nose? And to think some people believe that fictional disorders are over diagnosed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)