Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those of you who know someone whom works in the oil fields I have a question for you

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

How long did it take for you s/o to start working? I mean from the moment they applied til they got hired on? Dh wants to try for it next month. Can you explain the process. If you do not know please bump.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

BUMP!

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM
My DH does, but he drives a semi vac, he doesn't work on a rig. He had a job lined up before he had even finished his training for his class 1. When he left that job, he had another one the same day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Do they pay for the training? How does the whole thing work?

Quoting meaganmac: My DH does, but he drives a semi vac, he doesn't work on a rig. He had a job lined up before he had even finished his training for his class 1. When he left that job, he had another one the same day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM
It all depends on the company, what kind of openings the company has, what kind of experience your hubby has, and whether or not he knows someone in the company he's applying to.

I will say it seems to go quicker if you know someone that can put in a good word and help push the application through.

What kind of work has he done previously? Does he have any companies lines up he's applying for?
AugustMomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Bump
Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM

My husband works offshore, I don't remember specifics but I think he was sent offshore about a month after applying. What is he trying to do?

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM
They didn't pay for him to get his class 1 (although the company he's at now will pay for new hires to get that too) but they did pay for all his courses and orientations at different plants and stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do they pay for the training? How does the whole thing work?

Quoting meaganmac: My DH does, but he drives a semi vac, he doesn't work on a rig. He had a job lined up before he had even finished his training for his class 1. When he left that job, he had another one the same day.

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM

it depends which company, if theyre actively hiring, etc. most places take applications all the time, but that doesnt mean theyre hiring right then.

even if they are, it also depends how many of the crews family or friends get to get on first. its all about who you know.

he should put his application in everywhere, not just the one place he wants to work. even if he gets hired on at a place thats not his first choice, he'll still get experience, and that will look better when he reapplies with the one he wants. find out how often they accept apps (most places keep them on file for a certain time, 30 days, 60, 90)  and he should reapply every time his time is up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

My husband does not know anyone in the oil fields. I had a uncle whom did it but he passed away a few years ago. My husband knows fork lifts and has warehouse experience. He also has been building convention booths for years. So my dh can read blue prints easily.

Quoting Anonymous: It all depends on the company, what kind of openings the company has, what kind of experience your hubby has, and whether or not he knows someone in the company he's applying to. I will say it seems to go quicker if you know someone that can put in a good word and help push the application through. What kind of work has he done previously? Does he have any companies lines up he's applying for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)