Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Edit** Book vs. Movie - The Hunger Games

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

First of all, I'm only on chapter 4, so I have no idea if anything else will come up at the topic at hand. I paused to cook dinner and just can't stop thinking about it. I normally like watching the movie before I read the book (or else the movie will suck. We've all been there, right?). Well, I was going to put off reading the books 'till after the last movie, but got impatient after I found out they're going to stretch out the last book into two movies, just like Harry Potter and Twilight.

Edit: Dammit. Premature posting, thanks to my toddler.

Anyway, the part that got me thinking about was the "bread" scene. I've seen the movie twice, and both times I got the impression that she resented him for throwing perfectly good bread in the mud. But after reading the book, it's clear that it was just the opposite. She loved him for it, and felt forever in his debt. She was starving to death, and he threw it in her direction instead of feeding the pigs like he had been told.

WHY did they change that part in the movie? .......or did they not change it, and I just read the emotions wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM
I need to buy the books. Normally I just download on my Kindle, but I buy series. Liked the films. We just watched Catching Fire last night.
casah4
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I liked the books a lot more than the movies.  Especially the first one. The movie was just so different.  I didn't like the third book at all, so I'm not even going to bother watching those two movies. 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually thought the movie For the hunger games did an awesome job. They had a little too much on the romance, but over all really good.
I've never seen a movie that is so similar to the book.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I read the 1st 2 books and saw the 1st movie. I will be watching the 2nd movie tonight from redbox.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM
The books were much better. Still liked the movie though.
AmandaMichele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Books are almost always better. I loved the books and the movies were good but my imagination was better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtlesquish23
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM
The books will leave you feeling like your soul has been ripped out. Amazing read. I've had to read the series several times to pick up all the nuances and character developments
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM
The books are awesome! The first movie was really good, but leaves out a lot if detail. I would personally finish the books before watching the movie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Books
armywifey1983
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM

The books are far darker, definitely more graphic. Haymitch's character is explained in more detail; in the first book, you kind of understand why he is the way he is now. They also tweaked a few of the fellow tributes (physically) in the movie. There is also a scene during the Games (during the last two days) that is meant to be more of a mind f*ck for the remaining tributes. Its very creepy! There were a few changes, but I think the movie was done incredibly well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN