Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Edit** Book vs. Movie - The Hunger Games

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

First of all, I'm only on chapter 4, so I have no idea if anything else will come up at the topic at hand. I paused to cook dinner and just can't stop thinking about it. I normally like watching the movie before I read the book (or else the movie will suck. We've all been there, right?). Well, I was going to put off reading the books 'till after the last movie, but got impatient after I found out they're going to stretch out the last book into two movies, just like Harry Potter and Twilight.

Edit: Dammit. Premature posting, thanks to my toddler.

Anyway, the part that got me thinking about was the "bread" scene. I've seen the movie twice, and both times I got the impression that she resented him for throwing perfectly good bread in the mud. But after reading the book, it's clear that it was just the opposite. She loved him for it, and felt forever in his debt. She was starving to death, and he threw it in her direction instead of feeding the pigs like he had been told.

WHY did they change that part in the movie? .......or did they not change it, and I just read the emotions wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I LOVED the books. I like the movies.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM

The books were better. 

There are a lot of things that they left out from the movie.  They stuck closer to the book in the second movie.

The thing I loved about the movie is the differences in perspective. In the books, it's all from Katniss's perspective, since the book is in 1st person.  In the movies, you get meetings between Snow and Seneca Crane (and Snow and Plutarch Hevensbee) that you don't get in the books, it adds another level to the immersion.  Same thing with the scenes inside the gamemaker's room. 

There are scenes that you will laugh out loud in the books that they didn't put into the movie.  LIke when she shoots the apple out of the suckling pigs mouth during her trial.  It actually startles Plutarch Hevensbee so badly that he falls into the punch bowl! 

I love the books.  I love the movies. The books are better, though.  Imo.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

They also left out the part that he purpously burned the bread so he had to take it out.  And his mom beat the crap out of him for it.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

Freela
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I don't think the movie scene you describe was that different from the scene in the book (but I had read the book first, so was already watching it with the book narrative in mind.)  I typically like books better than movies.  The only movie that I prefer to the book is The Princess Bride, and I think it's because I had seen the movie so many times by the time I read the book that I feel like the movie version is the 'correct' version and that the book was deviating from it, even though I realize the book came first.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM

What scene are you talking about?

Quoting armywifey1983:

The books are far darker, definitely more graphic. Haymitch's character is explained in more detail; in the first book, you kind of understand why he is the way he is now. They also tweaked a few of the fellow tributes (physically) in the movie. There is also a scene during the Games (during the last two days) that is meant to be more of a mind f*ck for the remaining tributes. Its very creepy! There were a few changes, but I think the movie was done incredibly well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Same here and op I think you got the emotions wrong I watched movie before I read the books and I got she felt indebted to him because he saved her by tossing her the bread.

Quoting kcangel63: The books were much better. Still liked the movie though.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
I know! That part made me mad, I dot understand why they didn't include it, it would have taken like 30 more seconds.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

See I completely forgot about that because it wasn't in the movie and I read the book a while ago.  That part should have been in the movie, it explains so much.

Quoting LokisMama:

They also left out the part that he purpously burned the bread so he had to take it out.  And his mom beat the crap out of him for it.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
He never gave her anything.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN