Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Edit** Book vs. Movie - The Hunger Games

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

First of all, I'm only on chapter 4, so I have no idea if anything else will come up at the topic at hand. I paused to cook dinner and just can't stop thinking about it. I normally like watching the movie before I read the book (or else the movie will suck. We've all been there, right?). Well, I was going to put off reading the books 'till after the last movie, but got impatient after I found out they're going to stretch out the last book into two movies, just like Harry Potter and Twilight.

Edit: Dammit. Premature posting, thanks to my toddler.

Anyway, the part that got me thinking about was the "bread" scene. I've seen the movie twice, and both times I got the impression that she resented him for throwing perfectly good bread in the mud. But after reading the book, it's clear that it was just the opposite. She loved him for it, and felt forever in his debt. She was starving to death, and he threw it in her direction instead of feeding the pigs like he had been told.

WHY did they change that part in the movie? .......or did they not change it, and I just read the emotions wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

DH said the exact same thing. He said the book was so gawd awful, he has no idea how anyone felt compelled to make a movie out of it, lol. I took his word and didn't waste my time with it.

Quoting Freela:

I don't think the movie scene you describe was that different from the scene in the book (but I had read the book first, so was already watching it with the book narrative in mind.)  I typically like books better than movies.  The only movie that I prefer to the book is The Princess Bride, and I think it's because I had seen the movie so many times by the time I read the book that I feel like the movie version is the 'correct' version and that the book was deviating from it, even though I realize the book came first.

armywifey1983
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I read your post again and realized you read the book. lol The muttations are explained in better detail, and the fight with them is longer.

Quoting Elyce225:

What scene are you talking about?

Quoting armywifey1983:

The books are far darker, definitely more graphic. Haymitch's character is explained in more detail; in the first book, you kind of understand why he is the way he is now. They also tweaked a few of the fellow tributes (physically) in the movie. There is also a scene during the Games (during the last two days) that is meant to be more of a mind f*ck for the remaining tributes. Its very creepy! There were a few changes, but I think the movie was done incredibly well.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM

It made me angry too. 

Quoting Retrokitty: I know! That part made me mad, I dot understand why they didn't include it, it would have taken like 30 more seconds.
Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

Freela
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I didn't think it was god-awful (though I didn't really like the framing device for the story that the book used as opposed to the movie), but I did feel like some of the characterizations were different and felt like the movie characters were the 'real' versions of the characters.  Sometimes I think it's whatever you come across first that shapes how you think the story should be.

Quoting Anonymous:

DH said the exact same thing. He said the book was so gawd awful, he has no idea how anyone felt compelled to make a movie out of it, lol. I took his word and didn't waste my time with it.

Quoting Freela:

I don't think the movie scene you describe was that different from the scene in the book (but I had read the book first, so was already watching it with the book narrative in mind.)  I typically like books better than movies.  The only movie that I prefer to the book is The Princess Bride, and I think it's because I had seen the movie so many times by the time I read the book that I feel like the movie version is the 'correct' version and that the book was deviating from it, even though I realize the book came first.

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I've only read books 2 and 3 cause I didn't have the patience to wait for the next movies.

As I type I am watching Catching Fire and so far I think it's doing a good job compared to the book.

Book 3, I don't even know what to say. There are aspects I like, but the end, it just well, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Huh?

He was standing on the bakery's steps and threw some bread to the pigs and the other loaf in the mud in Katniss' way.  He was intending for her to take it.

Quoting Anonymous: He never gave her anything.
Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM

He showed her his pocketwatch that had a hidden mockingjay in it.  It was her first hint that he was part of the resistance, though she didn't understand it until much later.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Heavensbee never gives her anything.

Quoting Elyce225:

Huh?

He was standing on the bakery's steps and threw some bread to the pigs and the other loaf in the mud in Katniss' way.  He was intending for her to take it.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Oh and how hard did you cry when the were in District 11 and you saw Rue's family and then the old man whistled the tune and put his fingers up.  I get choked up just thinking about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Actually, it was a hint about the arena not that he was part of a rebel plan. He was trying to give her a heads up. Regardless, he didn't give her anything

Quoting LokisMama:

He showed her his pocketwatch that had a hidden mockingjay in it.  It was her first hint that he was part of the resistance, though she didn't understand it until much later.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN