Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Edit** Book vs. Movie - The Hunger Games

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

First of all, I'm only on chapter 4, so I have no idea if anything else will come up at the topic at hand. I paused to cook dinner and just can't stop thinking about it. I normally like watching the movie before I read the book (or else the movie will suck. We've all been there, right?). Well, I was going to put off reading the books 'till after the last movie, but got impatient after I found out they're going to stretch out the last book into two movies, just like Harry Potter and Twilight.

Edit: Dammit. Premature posting, thanks to my toddler.

Anyway, the part that got me thinking about was the "bread" scene. I've seen the movie twice, and both times I got the impression that she resented him for throwing perfectly good bread in the mud. But after reading the book, it's clear that it was just the opposite. She loved him for it, and felt forever in his debt. She was starving to death, and he threw it in her direction instead of feeding the pigs like he had been told.

WHY did they change that part in the movie? .......or did they not change it, and I just read the emotions wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
mandy_2536
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I agree

Quoting kcangel63: The books were much better. Still liked the movie though.
AthenaRadhaGaia
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I'm almost done. My favorite part has been the rue and district 11 bread thing. Shows their can be compassion in such a dark time
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM

True. 

And she still didn't get it until much later, after they meet back up with Wiress and Beetee. 

Quoting Anonymous: Actually, it was a hint about the arena not that he was part of a rebel plan. He was trying to give her a heads up. Regardless, he didn't give her anything
Quoting LokisMama:

He showed her his pocketwatch that had a hidden mockingjay in it.  It was her first hint that he was part of the resistance, though she didn't understand it until much later.

Quoting Anonymous: He never gave her anything.
Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Always
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I cried so hard, during the book and the movie.

That's the only bad thing with reading the books first.  You start getting to certian parts in the movie and you just start getting a knot in your stomach because you know what's going to happen next.

Quoting AthenaRadhaGaia: I'm almost done. My favorite part has been the rue and district 11 bread thing. Shows their can be compassion in such a dark time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Exactly lol that's all I meant

Quoting LokisMama:

True. 

And she still didn't get it until much later, after they meet back up with Wiress and Beetee. 

Quoting Anonymous: Actually, it was a hint about the arena not that he was part of a rebel plan. He was trying to give her a heads up. Regardless, he didn't give her anything

Quoting LokisMama:

He showed her his pocketwatch that had a hidden mockingjay in it.  It was her first hint that he was part of the resistance, though she didn't understand it until much later.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

He regretted throwing some of the bread to the pigs and felt so guilty about it.  She was grateful for the bread that he did throw.

There are a few major things they left out of the second movie.  Like when Heavenbee gives Katniss the clock that is a Monkingjay when they dance.  We were watching Catching Fire (again) last night and I had to explain to my DH that giving her the clock was a HUGE hint that he was on her side.  She even says so in the books. 

sburger315
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM

So far both books are better then both movies. I can't stand the "Catching Fire" movie. I've already read the third book (which is going to be made into two movies) and I'm dreading it. There are a lot of important parts in the book and I really hope they don't leave them out.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Oh, Heavensbee.  

I thought you were talking about Peeta.

I meant to say that he shows her the clock with the symbol.  There was no foreshadowing that HeavenBee was on her side at all in the movie.  If I didn't read the books I would have never suspected that he was with the uprising which they made important knowledge in the book for the reader.

Quoting Anonymous: Heavensbee never gives her anything.
Quoting Elyce225:

Huh?

He was standing on the bakery's steps and threw some bread to the pigs and the other loaf in the mud in Katniss' way.  He was intending for her to take it.

Quoting Elyce225:

They didn't change it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM

My daughter said that there were a few nuances that could be missed or misinterpreted if you didn't read the book, I think that could have been one of them.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I was fairly impressed with the Catching Fire movie for what it was.  Some of the scenes were so brilliantly executed... (The chariot costumes.  The mockingjay dress.  Cinna...*sob* Mags. Wiress. *sobsob* )

The book is still better. 

Quoting sburger315:

So far both books are better then both movies. I can't stand the "Catching Fire" movie. I've already read the third book (which is going to be made into two movies) and I'm dreading it. There are a lot of important parts in the book and I really hope they don't leave them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN