Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Over Medicated and Arrested

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

After my son was born, I couldn't sleep. I was hospitalized after 5 days of 0 hours of sleep. My doctor prescribed Ambien, and referred me to a psychiatrist. The pdoc prescribed Zoloft and Seroquel. She asked what medications I was taking, and I told her Ambien and Claritin. Two nights later I was still having issues falling asleep.
I had to run to Target to get groceries, but I was completely out of my mind due to the ambien and seraquel being a bad combo. I walked right out of the store without buying the groceries. It was $60, so I was arressted at 11 am and in jail for 24 hours before released. I did not even comprehend what was going on until about 11 pm in jail. Texas cracked down on theft cases, and found me guilty. I was guilty, but I had no idea what I was doing. The Pdoc was not supposed to have me continue on BOTH Ambien and  Seroquel.
I would have been smart enough to know that these drugs do not mix, but insomnia can hinder judgement. It's cost me about $4500 in fees, approx 200 hours in time, and I still have to try to get my record expunged. I am lucky my kids were at home with DH when I was arrested, and that nothing happened to them in my insomnia/medicated state. Currently, I'm not sleeping great, but taking benedryl to help. 
If you are having PPD, or random insomnia...make sure your family knows to help keep an eye on you. There will be times where you are not thinking straight. Have somone review the drugs you are taking. 
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM
That's scary. I'm sorry. I used to take ambien but take Benadryl now. Stay away from that stuff and seroquel if you can.
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I have a sleep disorder and I have had sleep deprivation induced psychosis. I have strict rules I follow when I am into each day of insomnia. After day 1 I don't drive, day 2 don't go outside, day 3 stay off the internet, etc.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Hello, I'm on Ambien and Seroquel. It's a legitimate med combo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Okay... but I don't understand in what world it would make sense to take ambien before bed. Why would you take a sleeping pill knowing you had to go out for groceries?
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, you messed up. YOU messed up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous: That's scary. I'm sorry. I used to take ambien but take Benadryl now. Stay away from that stuff and seroquel if you can.

I think it was mostly PPD, because now (a year later) I'm sleeping a bit better, and not as anxious. I'm still looking for a decent counselor. I will not accept those medications ever again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Quoting Danesmommy1: Hello, I'm on Ambien and Seroquel. It's a legitimate med combo.

A different doctor explained that it was not for me. I was given both ambien and seroquel for insomnia; I do not have BPD or major depression etc. So, imagine never being on medicine and then being prescribed 10mg Ambien and 300mg seroquel. When I was taken off ambien and the seroquel was lowered to 150, it was much better (but I was still really groggy for 8 months of 150 mg seroquel).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Also, thanks for letting me know it is legit. I thought it couldn't mix at all, and it made me fear doctors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Danesmommy1: Hello, I'm on Ambien and Seroquel. It's a legitimate med combo.

A different doctor explained that it was not for me. I was given both ambien and seroquel for insomnia; I do not have BPD or major depression etc. So, imagine never being on medicine and then being prescribed 10mg Ambien and 300mg seroquel. When I was taken off ambien and the seroquel was lowered to 150, it was much better (but I was still really groggy for 8 months of 150 mg seroquel).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM

This is great advice. Thank you. I haven't had more than 1 missed night of sleep for a while now. What do you do to keep from obsessing about sleep?

Quoting curvygurl1912:

I have a sleep disorder and I have had sleep deprivation induced psychosis. I have strict rules I follow when I am into each day of insomnia. After day 1 I don't drive, day 2 don't go outside, day 3 stay off the internet, etc.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM
No problem. It seems you had a bad drug interaction. I have that kind of thing happen before, but never so extreme that I ended up arrested. Sorry you went through all that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Also, thanks for letting me know it is legit. I thought it couldn't mix at all, and it made me fear doctors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I did mess up; that is why it is a confession. I was to take ambien and seroquel right before bed. I did this, but was still unable to sleep. After a certain amount of time with no sleep...the brain does not function right. I really wasn't functioning properly until my husband was able to let me sleep for three days. Yes, I was embarassed of everything, and felt like a complete idiot.

Quoting Anonymous: Okay... but I don't understand in what world it would make sense to take ambien before bed. Why would you take a sleeping pill knowing you had to go out for groceries? Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, you messed up. YOU messed up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN