Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does mental illness get a pass?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies
If someone is mentally ill, should they get a pass from all of their responsibilities if they refuse treatment? For example, if a man has early Alzheimer's and cannot financially support his children, should he get reduced child support?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3kidz123
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Um...Is that a mental illness?

And yes in that case good luck getting CS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM
5 moms liked this
IMO, yes because it's not something he can help, meds and treatment don't always work and it will only get worse.
If someone has something that they can get help for and function but choose not to, no, they should still be held accountable for all their responsibilities.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous: IMO, yes because it's not something he can help, meds and treatment don't always work and it will only get worse.
If someone has something that they can get help for and function but choose not to, no, they should still be held accountable for all their responsibilities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:59 PM
sure for many people having a mental illness like depression or bipolar get a pass on actually supporting themselves & any children they have, so Alzheimer's should get a pass too.
DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I could understand in a case like this. If a person has a medical condition that needs attention and financial support then they do need to take care of themselves. But Alzheimer's is a physical condition that affects mental capacity. That is slightly different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM
But there are meds and counseling that can help with depression and bipolar, so if a person chooses not get help do you think they should still be responsibility free?

Quoting Anonymous: sure for many people having a mental illness like depression or bipolar get a pass on actually supporting themselves & any children they have, so Alzheimer's should get a pass too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM
tell that to SSI, they are the ones giving the ones with depression or bipolar responsibility free.

Quoting Anonymous: But there are meds and counseling that can help with depression and bipolar, so if a person chooses not get help do you think they should still be responsibility free?

Quoting Anonymous: sure for many people having a mental illness like depression or bipolar get a pass on actually supporting themselves & any children they have, so Alzheimer's should get a pass too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Once again, mental illness is too broad of a category to give a yes or no answer and it needs to be dealt with on an individual basis.

Do some not understand that some mental illnesses are so bad that those people are unable to make rational decisions and sometimes that bad decision is not getting help. They are literally incapable of being responsible for their choices. So in those situations they should get a free pass because they can't help it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
What's difficult is, this person doesn't fully recognize that they have early signs of Alzheimer's, for obvious reasons. So the person is just overly defensive about all their decisions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM

the meds are not a cure and even with therapy and meds you still can suffer and it will not make whole and new again. people with these disorder will battle them their whole life. My dd has depression, i think bipolar, my mom has bipolar. My mom has suffered her whole life and battled with it her whole life. even with medication, she still has issues going out in public, she still hide in her bedroom away from people because it her safe zone. she did this when i was a child. my dd is on meds for depression, and she still suffers form it. the meds only mask them symptom they do not cure it. My dd stil perfer her bedroom to anywhere else. she perfer her music and book to social activity. she still cuts when the pain is to much.

Quoting Anonymous: But there are meds and counseling that can help with depression and bipolar, so if a person chooses not get help do you think they should still be responsibility free?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)