Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband says I'm being overly sensitive. What do you think?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
I'm a sahm. I'm literally with my kids 24/7/365. I haven't had a babysitter in almost 2 years. Well, my husband's cousin was getting married today and we decided to get a sitter and make it a date. I was so excited to get out and just enjoy myself without having to be a mommy. We went dress shopping last night and I wanted something sexy, but my husband kept picking out the most frumpy grandma dresses I've ever seen. Every time I'd pick a sexy dress (and I'm not talking slutty, I just mean not something my grandma would wear) he'd find a reason he didn't like it. "The color won't look good with your skin" "You don't have any shoes to match that" etc. I finally found one I LOVED and told him I was trying it on regardless of what he said. Anyway, I put it on and I felt hot!! I came out of the dressing room and said "See, not too bad, huh?" He just said "It is too bad. I don't like it. Just...no" I went back into the dressing room and cried. I wound up buying a VERY conservative dress that he loved. I told him he hurt my feelings and he said I was overreacting and being overly sensitive. I disagree. I think he was being an insensitive jerk.

Then, while we were sitting at the wedding reception his mom leaned over to him to tell him that she had been thinking lately about how proud she was of her two sons because they were such caring people. She then says "Neither of you cared about what was on the outside when looking for a wife. You both have such good hearts to marry someone who wasn't supermodel gorgeous, but instead you found someone with a good heart.". He tried to tell me when we walked off that I had taken her comment the wrong way and that me being upset about what she said was proof that I was just in an overly sensitive mood. Needless to say, I had a terrible time at the wedding and felt like an ugly cow the whole time.

So, do you think I was overreacting or is he in the wrong here?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM
11 moms liked this

I say go out and get the dress you felt hot in and get some girlfriends together for a night out and leave him home with the kids

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:36 AM

pffffffffffft NO way NO how I'd EVER dress frumpy.........Your Body YOUR choice......

EyesOnFire
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm speechless, honestly. I'm so sorry.
cassandrans
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
He was a complete asshole. Honestly, if he does and says things like this regularly...then he's abusing you.

Sorry he's such a dick.
piperhalliwell1
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM
no one tells me what clothes to buy or not buy. Your dh is too controlling. I'm sorry you didnt get to enjoy yourself! =(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm actually going out to dinner with some friends next weekend. Maybe I'll go back and get the dress and wear it then ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I say go out and get the dress you felt hot in and get some girlfriends together for a night out and leave him home with the kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:42 AM
I felt so ugly all night. All of the other girls at the wedding looked so cute. I just wanted to crawl into a hole.

Quoting Amybelle:

pffffffffffft NO way NO how I'd EVER dress frumpy.........Your Body YOUR choice......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM

Nope. He sounds like a jackass

Mamie_du_Monde_
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Amybelle:

Well sure if she were buying the dress, but she wasn't, her husband was.

Op, without a pic of the dress you wanted, it sounds to me that your husband wanted you to be classy for the wedding, not sexy. A wedding really isn't an appropriate place to wear a sexy dress. And are you really, truly offended that someone said your husband looked for a good woman, not someone who the only thing they have going for them is their looks?

Yes, you are being overly sensitive right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM
I think he's wrong. You should've gotten one that makes you feel good. And I would have said something like "they must get that from their father, lead by example."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN