Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When kids throw extreme tantrums in public... What do you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

I know people usually continue on and ignore it...

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Well, mine have never done that. When other people's children do it, I remember how thankful I am my children don't.
catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

sometimes I ignored, but most of the time I removed the child from the situation. I hated doing it since it gave attention to the tantrum, but I never thought it was fair for the people around me to have to endure my childs tantrum.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I picked up my child and took him out to the car until he car until he calmed down. We would then go back in. If he did it again, we left.

He only did it twice.
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM
We haven't had any extreme tantrums, just crying, and that's easily ignored.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM
I leave. I've only had to do it once, but I was mortified.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I never had any extreme tantrums, or really any tantrums.  When they were acting up a little, I got out fast if it didn't stop.

I remember one Mom who met us for lunch with her two young kids.  The youngest started throwing a fit and the mom said to me, in a defeated tone, "She will never stop now.  We will just have to leave."

Sad.  My kids didn't know what to think about that.  We went ahead and had lunch but it was too bad that she couldn't get her kids to behave and not scream. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

They don't, neither of my girls have thrown a tantrum in public. They're told before we leave the house what I expect of them and they know that they will receive a spanking right then and there if they act up in the store. I will also add on other punishments when we get home, I don't play around with that.

When we see other kids throwing a tantrum we slap hands and say, "High 5 for not being that kid."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I pinched her. She calmed down real quick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I smile at the parents and ignore the tantrum. their kid is having.if they apologize, I smile say I understand my kids are older, been there done that.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM

My kids have never thrown extreme tantrums in public, they don't get the chance to get it to that point. As soon as they start whining and starting to throw a tantrum, I remove them from the store and they sit in time out until they are ready to behave, then we go back in and finish what we are doing. I make it very clear to them what is expected of them and that I do not tolerate rude behavior that is disruptive to others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)